www.albasrah.net


Iraqi Resistance Report
for events of Tuesday, 18 May 2004 and Wednesday, 19 May 2004. Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board, the Free Arab Voice.

Tuesday, 18 May 2004.

 

Two American profiteers killed, one other wounded in Mosul.

 

The US military announced on Tuesday morning that two American profiteer contract employees were killed and a third wounded when the Iraqi Resistance attacked their unmarked car with machine guns in the Sumar neighborhood of downtown Mosul.  Al-Jazeera TV reported that an American patrol was sent it to rescue the wounded profiteer and retrieve the corpses of the other two.

 

Iraqi Resistance kills British mercenary.

 

The British Foreign Ministry announced on Tuesday that a British citizen working in Iraq was killed.  The British government reported that Iraqi Resistance fighters broke into the apartment where Brian Tilley was staying and opened fire on him, killing him instantly.  Tilley, 47, was listed as a former member of the British Royal Marines and worked in Iraq as a “security guard.”

 

US admits two Americans killed in al-Anbar Province on Tuesday morning.

 

The US occupation in Iraq officially admitted that two American aggressor troops with a US Marine unit had been killed on Tuesday morning in an operation “in al-Anbar province.”  Al-Anbar, which lies west of Baghdad is where the city of al-Fallujah is located. The Saudi News Agency, WAS said that the American spokesman gave no further details regarding the circumstances of the deaths of the two invader troops.

 

Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb destroys US military vehicle in Bayji.  US helicopter gunships bombard shops in response.

 

An Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb exploded under a US military patrol in downtown Bayji, north of Tikrit on Tuesday.  Eyewitnesses told Agence France Presse (AFP) that the blast destroyed a military vehicle.  The extent of US casualties was not reported.

 

In response, US helicopter gunships bombarded a number of commercial shops and stores in the center of Bayji.

 

An aid convoy of supplies sent by the al-A‘zamiyah Board of Welfare and Development, consisting of two ambulances and medical and food supplies reached the city of Karbala’ on Tuesday.  Al-Jazeera satellite TV reported Tuesday evening that Dr. Haydar Qasim, the man in charge of the convoy said that an organization calling itself the Committee to Defend the Area Between the Two Holy Places prevented the convoy from reaching downtown Karbala’.  It is reported that some Shi‘i religious authorities opposed the delivery of supplies by the Sunni al-A‘zamiyah Board’s convoy.

 

The Iraqi Islamic Party on Monday arranged the convoy with the people of al-Fallujah as part of a campaign to send relief to the people of the predominantly Shi‘i cities of an-Najaf and Karbala’, which are under a US imposed siege.  On the basis of that arrangement in al-Fallujah the Party dispatched truckloads of food and medical supplies to the cities.

 

Karbala’ went through violent fighting between US aggressor forces and the Jaysh al-Mahdi militia, loyal to Shi‘i religious leader Muqtada as-Sadr, who last week received a delegation from al-Fallujah offering their support.

 

On Tuesday, the battles in the area were concentrated around the tombs of the Imams al-Husayn ibn ‘Ali and al-‘Abbas ibn ‘Ali.  US aggressor tanks are drawn up a few hundred meters from the tomb of the Imam al-Husayn.

 

Explosion follows funeral of puppet chief.

 

An explosion was heard Tuesday afternoon in Baghdad, according to US Radio Sawa.  The blast came a few hours after the funeral of the US-appointed puppet “president” of the puppet so-called “interim governing council” who was killed in an Iraqi Resistance martyrdom attack on Monday.

 

Frightened head of US-appointed “governing council” asks for better US protection for council members.

 

Ghazi ‘Ajil Ilyawur, the new “president” of the puppet so-called “interim governing council of Iraq” said on Tuesday that the members of the council, who were appointed by the US occupation, require better protection from their American masters since they are constantly subject to attack.  Ilyawur took office on Monday after an Iraqi Resistance martyrdom bomber assassinated the previous “president” of the puppet council.

 

Ilyawur said that the US forces had cut back a program to train private security agents in January and that it had failed to provide bullet proof vests for body guards of the puppet “leaders.”

 

Ilyawur told Reuters that the occupation-appointed “leaders” also need cars with more armor plating.  He said that most members of the puppet “governing council” only have ordinary cars, which are very vulnerable to Resistance attack.  Ilyawur said the puppet “leaders” should be given places in which to live that would facilitate easy access to their places of work

 

Sources:

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=32972

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=32969

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=32935

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=32910

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=32907

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=32895

 

 

Wednesday, 19 May 2004.

 

Bloody massacre by US aircraft leaves 45 Iraqi civilians, 15 of them children, dead at village wedding party.  11 others injured, most critically.  US spokesman Kimmitt justifies massacre, says it conforms to American “rules of engagement.”

 

US aircraft and helicopter gunships attacked a wedding party early Wednesday in the village of Makr ad-Dib, near al-Qa’im in western Iraq, killing more than 40 people, Iraqi puppet officials said.  Lieutenant Colonel Ziyad al-Jabburi, deputy police chief of the city of ar-Ramadi, said between 42 and 45 people died in the attack, which took place about 2:45am in a remote desert area near the border with Syria and Jordan. He said those killed included 15 children and 10 women.  Dr. Salah al-‘Ani who works at a hospital in ar-Ramadi said that 45 were martyred in the American aggression.

 

The American Associated Press Television News obtained videotape showing a truck containing bodies of those killed.  About a dozen bodies, one without a head, could be clearly seen.  The video footage showed mourners with shovels digging graves. A group of men crouched and wept around one shrouded body.

 

Al-‘Ani in ar-Ramadi said people at the wedding fired weapons in the air, as is customary, and that American troops came to investigate and left. However, al-‘Ani said, helicopters attacked the area at about 3am.  Two houses were destroyed, he said.

 

“This was a wedding and the [US] planes came and attacked the people at a house.  Is this the democracy and freedom that Bush has brought us?” said a man on the videotape, Dahham Harraj. “There was no reason.”

 

Another man shown on the tape, who refused to give his name, said the victims were at a wedding party “and the US military aircraft came. . . and started killing everyone in the house.”

 

“We received about 40 martyrs today, mainly women and children below the age of 12,” Hamdi al-Lusi, the director of al-Qa’im Hospital, told al-‘Arabiya satellite TV. “We also have 11 people wounded, most of them in critical condition.”

 

Al-‘Arabiyah satellite TV initially reported that 20 people were killed and 10 injured in the American attack.  It reported that after killing the people the Americans set about destroying two houses, almost completely.

 

Al-‘Arabiyah quoted one resident as saying that the village consisted of 10 or 11 houses only, that the wedding was being held in one of them.  He said, “not one shot was fired.  But at 3:00am the American fighter aircraft showered 100 bombs upon us.”  Then, he recounted, they used rockets to destroy all the houses in the village.”  The dead and wounded were brought to al-Qa’im Hospital where they remained at the time the report was filed.

 

Official US aggressor spokesman, Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, defended the massacre, saying that the mass murder was carried out according to American “rules of engagement.”

 

According to the American Associated Press (AP), Kimmitt told the media, “At 0300 we conducted an operation. . . against suspected foreign fighters in a safe house. We took ground fire and we returned fire.”  Asked about reports of dozens killed, he said: “We are not disputing the numbers you are hearing. We estimate that around 40 were killed. But we operated within our rules of engagement.”

 

Iraqi Resistance explosives-laden car blows up next to American patrol in Baghdad.

 

An Iraqi Resistance booby-trapped car exploded next to a passing American aggressor patrol in northeastern Baghdad on Wednesday.  According to the Qatari News Agency, Qana, the blast occurred on al-Awrfili Street.  It put a Humvee out of commission.  US aggressor troops closed off he area and blocked the main thoroughfare in the area.  There was no immediate information on the extent of American casualties or damage.

 

One US aggressor soldier killed in Resistance attack in al-Miqdadiyah.

 

One US aggressor soldier was killed when the Iraqi Resistance attacked his patrol in al-Miqdadiyah, 100km northeast of Baghdad, according to an admission issued by the US aggressor military on Wednesday, and reported by Agence France Presse.

 

US admits: one US Marine aggressor killed in al-Anbar province.

 

The US occupation forces announced on Wednesday that one US Marine invader was killed “west of Baghdad,” according to a report carried by Reuters.  According to the official American account the Marine aggressor was killed on Tuesday in al-Anbar Province.  The American authorities, however, refused to provide any further details about the nature or location of the Resistance attack.

 

Resistance kills British mercenary in northern Iraq.

 

The British foreign ministry announced that a British mercenary was killed in an Iraqi Resistance attack as he drove his car between Mosul and Irbil in northern Iraq.  An official British spokeswoman for the foreign ministry told Agence France Presse (AFP) that Andrew Harris, 33, of Cardiff worked for a “security company” whose name the foreign ministry did not disclose.

 

Blast shakes downtown Baghdad Wednesday morning.

 

A large explosion shook central Baghdad on Wednesday morning.  The Egyptian Middle East News Agency had no further immediate details on the Resistance attack or on possible damage or losses inflicted on the invaders.

 

Al-Jazeera TV reported an explosion near the entrance ramp to the suspension bridge in central Baghdad but had no further details.

 

A series of powerful blasts rocks an-Najaf Wednesday night, after demonstrations during the day, reports that US agreed to talks with as-Sadr.

 

Al-‘Arabiyah satellite TV reported late on Wednesday that a series of powerful explosions shook an-Najaf on Wednesday night.  An-Najaf has been the scene of fighting between US aggressor forces and the Jaysh al-Mahdi militia loyal to Shi‘i religious leader Muqtada as-Sadr.

 

During the day some 400 Iraqis demonstrated in an-Najaf in support of Muqtada as-Sadr, despite appeals by higher ranking Shi‘i clerics, including Ayatallah ‘Ali as-Sistani, not to support as-Sadr’s resistance to the Americans.

 

The demonstrators marched under the protection of Jaysh al-Mahdi militiamen, and pledged to continue Muqtada as-Sadr’s struggle along the path his late father, Muhammad Sadiq as-Sadr, had pursued.  The demonstration marched down ar-Rasul Street on which as-Sistani’s offices are located chanting “No, no, America!”, “No, no, ‘Israel’!”, “No, no colonialism!”, and “No, no, stooges!”  The protesters called on the Shi‘i authorities to act independently, as as-Sistani bodyguards at their leader’s office attentively observed the marchers.

 

As-Sistani had called on Iraqis not to go to an-Najaf to demonstrate or help as-Sadr’s forces in their battle with the Americans.  Nevertheless, Shi‘i mosques in Baghdad called on the faithful to head to an-Najaf to demonstrate against the US occupation.

 

Meanwhile Jawad al-Bulani, an alternate member of the puppet so-called “interim governing council of Iraq” said that the US forces had agreed to hold direct talks with Muqtada as-Sadr.  Al-Bulani said he had received notification of that fact in an e-mail.

 

Fierce fighting in Karbala’ leaves five civilians dead, nine others injured.

 

Iraqi hospital sources reported that five Iraqis were killed and nine others wounded on Wednesday during the previous 24 hours in which violent battles raged in Karbala’.  ‘Ali Ardawi, director of the Emergency Department in Karbala’ Hospital said that three bodies of civilians were brought to the hospital some hours ago, in addition to nine wounded persons.  He told Agence France Presse (AFP) that three of the wounded are in extremely critical condition.  Ardawi added that later, two more bodies were brought in to the hospital.

 

AFP reports that fierce fighting has been taking place between the Jaysh al-Mahdi militia loyal to Shi‘i religious leader Muqtada as-Sadr, and the US aggressor forces on al-‘Abbas Street in Karbala’, near the tomb of the Imam al-‘Abbas.

 

Jasim Muhammad, an Iraqi eyewitness who owns a store on al-‘Abbas Street, reported that the fighting erupted when an American patrol began to make provocative movements in the street.

 

Local official survives assassination attempt near Mosul.

 

A source in the Iraqi puppet police reported that an official in the local administration in the town of al-Ba‘aj, 100km northwest of Mosul, survived an assassination attempt in which a puppet policeman who was serving as the official’s body guard was killed, and another severely wounded.

 

Major Fathi Yasin al-Jabburi of the Mosul puppet police told Agence France Presse (AFP) that the governor or al-Ba‘aj ‘Abdallah Fahd ash-Shamari surrived an assassination attempt when Resistance fighters threw a hand grenade at ash-Shamari’s car in the al-Qasbah area of the town late on Tuesday night.

 

Report: US arrested four persons in connection with execution of Berg.

 

American aggressor forces arrested four persons in Iraq in connection with the execution of Nicholas Berg, an American, and suspected Mossad agent, who entered Iraq under the protection of the US invaders.  The Iraqi source who disclosed the arrests to Agence France Presse (AFP) gave no names or information on those whom the invader forces had arrested on the pretext of the execution.  Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, the official US spokesman, denied the AFP report, however, saying that the occupation “had no knowledge” of such an arrest.

 

Sources: al-‘Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, ‘Amman, Jordan, 20 May 2004.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=1&u=/nm/20040519/ts_nm/iraq_dc_15

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=33089

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=33087

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=33086

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040519/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_attack_4

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=33073

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=33067

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDNews=33065

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=33052

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=33026

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=33021

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=33007

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=32997

http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=32981

http://www.freearabvoice.org