Iraqi Resistance Report
for events of Monday, 2 August 2004 through Wednesday, 4 August 2004.  Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board The Free Arab Voice.


Monday, 2 August 2004.


Resistance pounds US base near al-Fallujah with 120mm mortars.


At about 7:10pm Monday evening the Iraqi Resistance unleashed a powerful mortar barrage on the US base in the agricultural region near al-Fallujah.  The local correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam reported that the al-Fallujah Resistance used 120mm mortars in their assault on the US base.  Local residents reported seeing columns of thick, black smoke rising over the US camp, smoke still clearly visible at 8:59pm Mecca time, when the correspondent’s report was posted.


Another savage US air raid on two al-Fallujah neighborhoods Monday evening.


US aggressor aircraft launched a vicious air raid on Monday on two neighborhoods of the defiant city of al-Fallujah, dropping 3,000 1kg anti-personnel bombs on the ash-Shuhada’ neighborhood and the industrial zone of the city.


The local correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam reported that US airplanes dropped two container bombs on each of the neighborhoods.  Each container contains some 750 1kg anti-personnel bombs.  The raid took place at about 7:50pm Mecca time on Monday evening.


Fighting erupts in Karbala’ as US surrounds home of Muqtada as-Sadr.


Agence France Presse (AFP) reported on Monday from an-Najaf that eyewitnesses saw US aggressor troops encircling the house of Shi‘i religious leader Muqtada as-Sadr in the city. US armored vehicles backed up by Iraqi puppet security men formed a ring around the az-Zahra’ neighborhood in the eastern part of Karbala’ where Muqtada as-Sadr’s house is located.


The witnesses reported that fierce fighting erupted between the Jaysh al-Mahdi militia, loyal to as-Sadr, and US invader troops.  Clouds of black smoke were seen rising and the sound of gun and mortar fire could be heard.  Thunderous explosions of rocket-propelled grenades were also reported.


Resistance attacks convoy of puppet troops south of Baghdad, killing one.


An official in the puppet so-called “Iraqi national guard” in Karbala’ announced on Monday that a member of the guard had been killed and three others wounded in an attack on one of their convoys south of Baghdad.  Lieutenant Colonel ‘Abd ar-Rabb al-‘Ardawi, the “national guard” commander in Karbala’, said that the Resistance attacked the convoy in the al-Latifiyah area, 30km south of Baghdad as it was returning with new vehicles that they were bringing from Baghdad.


Resistance attacks puppet police patrol near Kirkuk, killing three.


Iraqi Resistance forces attacked a patrol of the Iraqi puppet police in Kirkuk Province, killing three puppet policemen and wounding six others.  Captain ‘Aziz Talibani of the Kirkuk Province puppet police, said that the Resistance fired from a moving car into the patrol in the Kirkuk district, 270km north of Baghdad.


Reuters reported that the patrol was stopped near a restaurant Monday morning in the ‘Arafah area and that a car with several people aboard sped by, firing at the patrol, killing three puppet policemen and wounding four other persons, two of them restaurant employees.


A high ranking officer in the puppet so-called national guard in Kirkuk said that the guard together with 800 puppet policemen launched a joint campaign of raids searching a section of Kirkuk for the attackers.  The raids were carried out in the early morning hours of Monday in the course of which “a large number of homes” were raided and “large quantities of arms” seized.


US commander tries to intimidate tribal leaders around Samarra’.


The US commander in the region of Samarra’ tried to intimidate local leaders on Monday by holding a meeting with tribal elders in Tikrit where he told them that if the Resistance does not disarm and/or evacuate the city of Samarra’, US aggressor forces would use force to enter the city.


Also on Monday the US officially admitted that one soldier wounded in an Iraqi Resistance roadside attack in Samarra’ on Sunday had died of his wounds.


US aggressors arrest prominent Muslim religious leader in Baghdad.


US aggressor troops at 1:00am local time on Monday morning arrested Dr. Muthanna ad-Darri, a member of the Iraqi Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’ (Sunni Muslim religious leaders), who is also the son of the General Secretary of the Iraqi Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’.


According to Shaykh ‘Ammar ‘Abd al-Karim who was with ad-Darri, they were returning from an interview with one of the satellite TV station and when they were near the Umm al-Qura Mosque in Baghdad, the headquarters of the Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’, US occupation troops burst out of side streets and stopped their car.  They began a routine search of the vehicle, and ascertained the identity of the passengers.  They learned that they were all members of the Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’ of Iraq and that Dr. Muthanna ad-Darri was the son of Shaykh Harith Sulayman ad-Darri the General Secretary of the Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’.


‘Abd al-Karim told al-Jazeera satellite TV, “After learning the identity of Dr. Muthanna ad-Darri and his companions they began a detailed and intensive search of the car a second time, during which they broke and ruined a number of items.  Then a second American patrol showed up on the scene with a searching device.  They used it to search the individuals a second time and then arrested Dr. Muthanna ad-Darri and his two companions, on the pretext that they had traces of explosive material on their hands, but without giving any further explanation.


Muhammad Bashshar al-Faydi, the official spokesman for the Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’, held a press conference at the Umm al-Qura Mosque to speak about the arrest.  He demanded the immediate release of Dr. ad-Darri and said that until they do release him, the US occupation was responsible for his welfare.


Al-Faydi said that the purpose of the arrest apparently was to punish the Board of ‘Ulama’ for not taking part in the planned “national congress.” That congress is being rigged up by the occupation and its stooges in an effort to put a veneer of legitimacy on the puppet regime.


In an interview with al-Jazeera, al-Faydi said that two things are particularly of concern to the Board in connection with the arrest of ad-Darri.  First, that his arrest appears to be in response to the position of the Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’ on the “national congress,” since ad-Darri was arrested as he was returning from having taken part in a discussion on the Lebanese LBC TV channel in which he outlined the Board’s opposition to taking part in the “congress” and said that he expected it to fail miserably because it is being held under the auspices and protection of the occupation.


The second thing that is a cause of concern, al-Faydi told al-Jazeera, was that by arresting ad-Darri, the US might be trying to discredit the Board of Muslim ‘Ulama’ as an authoritative religious representative organization, noting in this connection that some of the Iraqi press, which operates under the US occupation, had recently begun a campaign against the Board as a representative religious association for Iraqi Sunnis.


Al-Faydi warned of “unenviable consequences” if Dr. Muthanna ad-Darri is not released, and as the anger of the people grows.


Islamist Resistance group executes Turkish hostage.


Reuters reported that an Islamist website has posted photographs of the execution of a Turkish hostage by an Iraqi Resistance group.  Al-Jazeera satellite TV reported that the pictures showed the hostage being shot in the head.  Earlier al-Jazeera and other stations had broadcast a video showing the hostage surrounded by Resistance fighters who threatened to kill him if Turkish companies did not withdraw from occupied Iraq and cease serving the US occupation.


Turkish transport companies to halt commerce with US troops in Iraq.


A Turkish truckers’ association announced it has stopped the transport of cargo to US forces in Iraq as of Monday after a Turkish national was executed by kidnappers in the war-torn country.  “It is observed that security and stability in Iraq cannot be maintained yet,” the Istanbul-based International Transporters’ Association (UND) said in a written statement.


“Within the framework of current developments, UND decided to stop the transport of cargo which belong to the American troops in Iraq as of” Monday, the statement said.


The association’s executive committee chairman Cahit Soysal told AFP that their decision, which concerned only its own members, some 30 or 40 transport companies, would affect only about five percent of all trade between Turkey and its southern neighbor.


The UND's announcement came after Turkish officials confirmed that a Turkish man - Murat Yuce working for the Bilintur company which specializes in catering - was executed by his kidnappers.


Somali hostage said released.


The Iraqi Resistance group that calls itself the Group of Monotheism and Jihad (Jama‘at at-Tawhid wa-al-Jihad) announced in a video broadcast by al-Jazeera satellite TV that they had decided to release a Somali hostage they had been holding.


The group, said to be led by Abu Mus‘ab az-Zarqawi, said that ‘Ali Ahmad Musa was being released because the group “values the positions of the government and people of Somalia with regard to Iraq, and because the Kuwaiti company for which the hostage works pledged to stop its activities in Iraq.”


Meanwhile, although the Foreign Minister of Kenya on Sunday announced the release of Kenyan hostages being held by another Resistance group and said that they had been taken to the Egyptian embassy, the Egyptian embassy has denied receiving any hostages.  In addition the go-between in those negotiations, Shaykh Hisham ad-Dulaymi, has denied that the Kenyan hostages were released and has announced that he withdraws from the negotiations based on the request of the captors.

















Tuesday, 3 August 2004.


US General captured by Resistance; fighting rages in ar-Ramadi.


In a dispatch posted at 4:40pm Tuesday, Mecca time, the correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam in ar-Ramadi reported that fierce fighting had been raging in the area of the city since 9:30am and that in some places it had grown into direct and bloody battles at such close quarters that US Apache helicopters are unable to take part for fear of hitting their own troops.


The correspondent wrote that the fighting was under way in the area of the sports playing field, al-Fajjariyah, and near the Agricultural College, and it was also raging around the Maternity Hospital.


US troops closed off all roads leading to the city of ar-Ramadi and the correspondent has no information on the extent of casualties as a result of the violent fighting under way because of the danger of approaching the front lines.


The correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam wrote, however, that Resistance forces launched a painful attack at the US aggressor troops in which they captured an American General on Tuesday morning.  The General was accompanying a US column heading from a US outpost to the command headquarters, set up by the Americans in the Republican Palace in ar-Ramadi.


The capture of the American general sparked the fighting, as US forces moved to close all roads to and from ar-Ramadi to prevent his being taken outside the city area.  US forces are insisting that they will not open the roads until the Resistance hands the back to them.


One large column of US forces attempted to get to ar-Ramadi along the expressway north of al-Fallujah, but Resistance fighters from that city confronted the advancing Americans, unleashing a hail of rockets and mortars upon them, splitting the column in two.  The rear half of the column fled back to Baghdad, the front part attempted to make for ar-Ramadi, but, failing that, made their way to the US occupation base at al-Habbaniyah instead.


The residents of northern districts of al-Fallujah could see the flames and smoke rising into the sky from fires burning in wrecked US military vehicles.


Resistance destroys US tank, Humvee southwest of al-Fallujah Tuesday evening.


Iraqi Resistance forces destroyed an American tank and a Humvee in the village of ash-Shamiyah, south west of al-Fallujah a few minutes before 9:00pm Mecca time, according to the local correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam.  The correspondent, who was 250 meters away when the attack occurred, reported that the ambush was laid near the village mosque.  The reporter was unable to ascertain the extent of US losses, however, because the American aggressor troops immediately closed off the scene of the attack and would not allow anyone to approach.


US forces frequently seal off areas in which Resistance attacks take place enabling themselves to evacuate dead and wounded, to haul off the wreckage of vehicles and to clean up the area before the press is allowed back in.  Such actions enable the Americans to hide the extent of their losses in men and materiel.


Resistance pummels American base in at-Taji; US airlift of casualties lasts over five hours.


Iraqi Resistance fighters at 7:45am on Tuesday morning fired six massive Grad rockets at the US aggressor base in at-Taji, northwest of Baghdad.  The rockets slammed into the camp, and one of them scored a direct hit on the main ammunition storehouse, setting off a series of massive and continuous explosions.


With the road cut by Resistance activity, the Americans used huge Chinook helicopters to evacuate the dead and wounded after the explosions died down at 8:30am.  The movement of the huge helicopters evacuating casualties continued until 2:00pm in the afternoon, according to the local correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam.


Resistance bomb destroys US Humvee east of al-Fallujah.


An Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb exploded on the highway east of al-Fallujah at 3:30pm Tuesday afternoon.  According to the local correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam, the blast set one American Humvee on fire.  Afterward, US troops closed the highway to traffic and it remained closed when the correspondent posted his report at 6:20pm Mecca Time, Tuesday.


Resistance frees Iraqi woman from US clutches, then attacks US column in al-Karmah.


At 7:50pm Mecca Time, the correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam filed a report on an incident that took place in al-Karmah earlier in the day.


Early on Tuesday 24 US aggressor troops stormed into the home of an Iraqi woman in search of her husband, who, the Americans think, is an active member of the local Resistance.


When the troops failed to find the husband, they took the wife captive instead, putting her in a vehicle in their column of five Humvees.  The captive woman cried out to the people in the area, however, calling for help, and imploring them not to allow what had been done to the prisoners of Abu Ghurayb to be done to her.


In a few moments a crowd of more than fifty men of the Resistance rushed to crowd around the Humvee carrying the woman.  They confronted the Americans and demanded the woman’s release.  When the US troops refused, arguments and fist fights broke out between the two sides, as the Resistance was determined to avoid using weapons where the captive woman might be hurt.


A short consultation then between the two sides by way of the Iraqi translator accompanying he American invaders resulted in an agreement whereby the Americans would release the woman on condition that the crowd of Resistance fighters step away from the American column and allow it to get away.


The Americans then were compelled to release the woman.  When she had been taken to a safe place, the leader of the Resistance fighters called on his men to attack the Americans in defense of the woman’s honor.  The collaborator translator intervened saying that they couldn’t attack the Americans because they had an agreement with them.  To that the Resistance leader responded, “what kind of agreement, what kind of commitment do we have with them, when they violate the honor of our women and abuse them?  There is no agreement with such people, no truce!”


The fighters began to lay into the collaborator translator to kill him for his treason and then the Resistance opened fire with rocket-propelled grenades and C5Ks on the Humvees, destroying them and killing all aboard, before reinforcements could come.  The large number of fighters gathered in the area enabled them to have done with the US aggressor troops quickly.


The mother was then moved out of al-Karmah along with her children, lest the Americans return to exact some kind of revenge on the family.  Afterwards, the Americans in fact encircled and imposed a blockade on al-Karmah, and the town remained sealed off when the Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent posted his report at 7:50pm Tuesday, Mecca time.


Sudden nighttime Resistance attack on US camp near Samarra’ leaves 16 Americans dead.


Early Tuesday morning Iraqi Resistance forces from Samarra’ attacked a US command point in the rural village of ar-Rawashid in the al-Ishaqi district near Samarra’.  The Samarra’ correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam arrived on the scene eight hours after the fighting and local residents told him that the Resistance stunned the sleeping American camp at 4:00am Tuesday when they attacked with rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), C5Ks, and machine guns.  The soldiers at the command post who manned an armored personnel carrier and two Humvees – 16 men in all – were killed.


Local residents used their own weapons to shoot into the air in celebration of the Resistance victory.  Later US aggressor troops moved in to storm houses in search of the Resistance fighters, who, as usual, remained out of sight.  The American troops surrounded the village for two hours during their search operation, but then departed.


Resistance car bomb wounds six Iraqi puppet troops near Ba‘qubah.


An Iraqi Resistance martyrdom car bomb blast at a checkpoint north of the town of Ba‘qubah wounded six Iraqi members of the puppet so-called “national guard,” according to “national guard” Lieutenant Muhammad ad-Dulaymi at the scene.  Major Deborah Stewart of the US 1st Infantry Division said the wounded had been evacuated to a nearby hospital.


Resistance bomb kills puppet police chief.


An Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb Tuesday killed a local puppet police chief in Baghdad, according to the American Associated Press (AP).  The Resistance car bomb in Baghdad’s upscale al-Mansur district killed the head of a local puppet police station and wounded two of his bodyguards, the puppet police said.  The bomb exploded as Colonel Mu’ayyad Mahmud Bashshar ash-Shamari, chief of the al-Ma’mun puppet police station, was driving past.


Iraqi Dr. Zayid Muhammad was quoted by the Mafkarat al-Islam as saying that the explosion took place in al-Washshash district, west of Baghdad and killed the puppet police chief of al-Ma’mun as well as another officer in the puppet police.  He said that a third puppet policeman was wounded and taken to al-Yarmuk Hospital.


An AP TV film showed the wreckage of a small white truck belonging to the puppet police around which could be seen pools of blood.


In a dispatch posted at 6:45pm Mecca time, the correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam reported that the blast which killed Puppet police Colonel Bashshar took place in the al-Mansur district of central western Baghdad near the large mosque there.


The correspondent added that the blast also killed two “multinational” occupation troops and wounded two more in addition to killing another officer in the Iraqi puppet police.  The US military had acknowledged earlier on Tuesday that two “foreign” occupation troops were killed and two more wounded in a separate statement, but omitted any indication of the fact that they were stricken in the same Resistance attack that killed the puppet police chief. (See story below.)


US military admits four occupation soldiers killed in combat.


The US military admitted on Tuesday that two “foreign” soldiers were killed and two others wounded in an Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb blast overnight on Baghdad’s western outskirts.  Initial American reports failed to mention the nationality of the invader troops, but an American Associated Press (AP) report referred to them as American.


The American aggressors also acknowledged that two American Marine invaders were killed in action in the rebellious province of al-Anbar where al-Fallujah and ar-Ramadi are located. One of the US invaders died on Monday from wounds and the other Tuesday, the US military said.


Resistance attack cuts off all Iraqi oil exports to Turkey.


Iraqi Resistance fighters struck an oil pipeline linking the Kirkuk fields with the Turkish port of Ceyhan on Tuesday morning, shutting down all Iraqi oil exports to Turkey, according to a report broadcast by al-‘Arabiyah satellite TV.


Engineer Nasir Qasim ‘Abd al-Jabbar, a puppet official charged with the unenviable task of keeping the flow in the Oil of the North Company pipelines going, said “a large explosion occurred at 6:00am, local time, in the complex of pipes that carry oil east of the city of al-Fath, which lies west of Kirkuk.


‘Abd al-Jabbar added that the blast caused heavy damage to the strategic pipeline, and halted all Iraqi exports of oil to the Turkish port of Ceyhan.


A source at the Bayji oil refinery, the main one in the country, confirmed that the Resistance had blown up the pipeline carrying crude oil to the refinery and to the main northern export pipeline that takes Iraqi oil to Ceyhan.  That route has been virtually closed down for nearly two months due to persistent Resistance assaults.


Bayji is located 180km north of Baghdad.  Local puppet police reported that the Resistance blew up the pipeline there in the early hours of Tuesday morning.


The Iraqi Resistance frequently targets the oil pipelines carrying petroleum out of Iraq, because the returns from sale of the Iraqi natural resource all go directly into the coffers of the US aggressors and their stooges.


Al-Fallujah residents free four Jordanian hostages.


In a report posted at 1:30am Wednesday morning, Mecca time, the al-Fallujah correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam reported that the people of the city had released four Jordanian truck drivers who had been held hostage by an Iraqi Resistance group. The people of al-Fallujah released the four after discovering that they were being held in a house in their city.


The correspondent wrote that the people of al-Fallujah stormed into the house where the four were being held after learning the location where the four truck drivers were being held since earlier in the week.  The people were able to take the four out of the house where they were being held and then transported them to a safe place from which they will be turned over to the Jordanian embassy at an appropriate time Wednesday morning.


The correspondent wrote that the people’s raid on the house took place at midnight, and that a group of 10 men took part.  Among those participating in the raid were members of the guards of the Center for the Study of Democracy and Human Rights (CSDHR) in al-Fallujah.  They were heavily armed but the operation involved no gunfire between them and the kidnappers, as neither side sought to draw the blood of their brothers.


The guards of the CSDHR took charge of moving the former hostages to safety.  The Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent writes that the guards of the CSDHR perform the function of protecting and providing security in several neighborhoods of al-Fallujah.



















Wednesday, 4 August 2004.


Resistance battles American aggressors, puppet police in Mosul.


The correspondent of al-Jazeera satellite TV in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, 400km north of Baghdad, reported around noon on Wednesday that fighting was going on in the city between the Resistance and Iraqi puppet police in the neighborhoods of an-Najjar and al-Ghazlani in the southwest of the city and that the sound of explosions could be heard coming from those areas.


Nighttime reports from al-Jazeera said that 12 Iraqis were killed in the fighting and 38 others wounded.  Dr. Wa’il Shith of Medical City Hospital in Mosul said that his facility had received 12 dead bodies and 26 wounded persons, most of them civilians wounded as a result of the fighting taking place in the city.


Dr. ‘Abd ar-Rahman al-‘Abidi of Mosul General Hospital said that his institution had received 12 injured persons, and described their wounds as ranging from moderate to serious.


Iraqi puppet police closed five bridges over the Tigris River that divide the city into two parts, preventing all traffic – pedestrians as well as vehicles – from crossing.  Some 50 explosions of mortar shells and rocket-propelled grenades were heard as well as the sound of machine gun fire from the right bank of the river, in the southwestern part of town.


Puppet police officer Wa’il Isma‘il Ahmad reported that the Resistance demanded that shopkeepers close their stores so that they would not be hurt in the fighting.  He said that another group of Resistance fighters drove around in a car distributing weapons to the populace and urged them to fight the Americans.  He said that the Resistance fighters sent the puppet police a message saying that they would not attack the puppet police if the police remained neutral.  “They told us,” officer Ahmad said, “that they only wanted to fight the American soldiers.”


Al-Jazeera reported that the fighting began near the al-Karamah puppet police station on the left bank of the Tigris in Mosul, then expanded to the neighborhoods of al-Ghazlani, an-Nabi Shith, ash-Shaykh Fathi, an-Najjar, and the areas of al-Yarmuk, Wadi Hajar, and New Mosul.


The fighting was preceded by the explosion of a bomb that was tossed on an American patrol made up of four armored vehicles.  The blast crippled one of the vehicles and wounded a number of US troops.


Iraqi Resistance launches series of attacks on US troops in Baghdad.


The Iraqi Resistance struck a series of powerful blows against US aggressor troops in Baghdad on Wednesday, according to the local correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam.


An explosion shook the western Baghdad district of al-‘Amiriyah at about 3:00pm local time on Wednesday afternoon.  The blast struck the local military flying club compound, an area that the US occupation troops and their Iraqi stooge forces have turned into one of their centers.


Eyewitnesses reported that the Resistance attacked an American aggressor column with rockets and light arms on the expressway leading to the al-‘Adl neighborhood in al-‘Amiriyah.  That incident occurred at 10:05 Tuesday night, local time.  The witnesses say the attack resulted in no casualties.


A powerful explosion shook the building that formerly served as the headquarters of the Iraqi Intelligence Service but now is a center occupied by the US military in the central Baghdad district of al-A‘zamiyah at 5:15pm Wednesday.


Puppet police chief of al-Yarmuk in Baghdad assassinated by Resistance bomb.


A correspondent of Mafkarat al-Islam reported on Wednesday afternoon that a top commander in the Iraqi puppet police had been killed Wednesday morning.  The puppet police chief of the al-Yarmuk area of Baghdad was killed when an Iraqi Resistance bomb exploded as his car was passing along a road in the al-Jihad neighborhood of the occupied Iraqi capital.  The correspondent reported eyewitnesses as saying that the puppet police chief was killed instantly at the scene of the bombing.


Resistance fires mortars at US headquarters in Baghdad early Wednesday morning.


Baghdad awoke on Wednesday to a series of explosions that, according to Reuters, were centered around the so-called “green zone” where the US occupation and its puppet “Iraqi interim government” have their headquarters in the Republican Palace.


According to the Iraqi puppet police, the Resistance fired two mortar shells at the area of the “green zone” causing the explosions that shook the city.  The US propaganda spokesman said that one of the blasts occurred at about 7:00am local time.


Governor or al-Anbar city resigns after Resistance frees his sons.


The governor of al-Anbar City, 110km west of Bagdhdad, tendered his resignation on Wednesday after three of his sons were released. The three had been kidnapped several days previous by an Iraqi Resistance organization.


On Wednesday, 28 July 2004, Iraqi Resistance fighters attacked the home of the al-Anbar governor in al-Anbar city and kidnapped three of his sons.  Iraqi puppet police sources reported that the kidnappers got through all the security obstacles and captured the sons of ‘Abd al-Karim ar-Rawi.


The sources noted that the Resistance also set fire to and destroyed the governor’s house after capturing the sons,


Muqtada as-Sadr followers take 18 puppet police hostage in an-Najaf.


In response to the arrest of the head of Shi‘i Religious leader Muqtada as-Sadr’s office in Karbala’, Jaysh al-Mahdi militiamen on Tuesday took 18 officers in the puppet police capitve in an-Najaf.  The American Associated Press (AP) quoted an official in the puppet police in an-Najaf as saying that the Jaysh al-Mahdi militia, loyal to Muqtada as-Sadr, had taken 18 puppet policemen and two police cars hotstage.  He added “they are waiting for instructions from [as-Sadr’s leadership in] Baghdad as to whether they should fight or negotiate.”


The AP quoted as-Sadr’s spokesman Ahmad ash-Shaybani as saying that the puppet police had recently been waging campaigns of raids and searches to arrest leaders of the Jaysh al-Mahdi militia.  He indicated that the situation was growing explosive and called on the puppet police to cooperate with the Jaysh al-Mahdi and release its prisoners, without mentioning the 18 captives now in the hands of the Jaysh al-Mahdi.

Earlier, US forces backed by armored vehicles completely surrounded Muqtada as-Sadr’s house in the eastern part of an-Najaf.  News agencies have reported armed clashes between supporters of Muqtada as-Sadr and US troops in the city.  (See Iraqi Resistance Report, 31 July 2004, “Head of Muqtada as-Sadr office in Karbala’ arrested in US raid.”)


US arrests police official, raid police station in ar-Ramadi.


US invader troops arrested an officer in the American-sponsored Iraqi police in the city of ar-Ramadi.  An officer in the force said that in the early hours of Wednesday, US forces arrested Lieutenant Colonel ‘Imad Sulayman Falih, one of the ar-Ramadi police officials.


The Saudi News Agency WAS reported the officer as saying that Lieutenant Colonel Falih was arrested at his home in the center of the city, but he gave no further details.


Meanwhile an officer in the police in ar-Ramadi reported that early on Wednesday American occupation troops also encircled the al-Faruq police station and launched a search of the facility that lasted for more than an hour, looking for “heavy weapons.”  The officer added that the American troops made all the police officers who happened to be in the station at the time stay in one of the rooms in the building during their search.


US troops have long regarded their own puppet police forces in the areas west of Baghdad as largely sympathetic with the Iraqi Resistance, particularly since the US siege of al-Fallujah in the spring, where policemen joined the Resistance in battling US troops.


Two Turkish hostages freed after company agrees to stop supplying US occupation.


The Group of Monotheism and Jihad, said to be led by Abu Mus‘ab az-Zarqawi, has announced the release of two Turkish truck drivers it had been holding hostage, after the Turkish company for which they work pledged not to ship supplies to US occupation forces in Iraq.  The statement came in a video from the group aired on al-Jazeera satellite TV.


Iranians arrested in Karbala’ for involvement in assassinations, bombings in Iraq.


Sources in the puppet police in the city of Karbala’ reported on Wednesday that four Iranian citizens have been arrested on charges of carrying out assassinations and bombings in Iraq. Rahman Mashawi, spokesman for the puppet police, said, “the four Iranians were arrested in the course of a broad operation undertaken by the city [puppet] police to track down undocumented aliens who have entered the country illegally.”


Agence France Presse (AFP) quoted Mashawi as saying, “under interrogation the Iranians confessed to being involved in planning and carrying out terrorist activities in Iraq.  They confessed to belonging to foreign organizations that carry out assassinations, murders, and bombings in Iraqi cities.”


Recently the US-appointed so-called “Iraqi minister of defense” has accused Iran of interfering in Iraq’s internal affairs and said he considered Iran to be Iraq’s No. 1 enemy.


President of Court trying Saddam Hussein charged with involvement in murder.


Informed Iraqi sources have told Quds Press that Salim Chelebi, the president of the kangaroo court “trying” Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, and nephew of US CIA agent and convicted embezzler Ahmad Chelebi, is suspected of being involved in the murder of a highly placed employee in the puppet “finance ministry” in the so-called “interim government.”  The sources say that Salim Chelebi threatened Haytham Fadil, a director in the “finance ministry” in charge of preparing a report on the Iraqi government’s finances, including those seized by the so-called “Iraqi National Congress” – the collaborationist front led by Salim’s uncle Ahmad Chelebi.


The sources say that Salim Chelebi threatened Haytham Fadil after another “finance ministry” employee leaked information about Fadil’s report to Salim Chelebi.  Angry at what he had heard, Chelebi threatened Fadil, who, in turn, told his wife of the threat from Salim Chelebi.  He also photocopied the report that he had prepared and put it in a safe place.  It was also presented to the president of the criminal court in Baghdad.


On 28 May 2004, Fadil was murdered.  Since that time the murderer has not been found.


Ahmad Chelebi’s “Iraqi National Congress” seized a large number of Iraqi government buildings after the US occupation.  It also took over many large factories and presses, formerly run by the Baath Party newspaper ath-Thawrah.