Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Thursday, 5 February 2004 through Saturday, 7 February 2004. Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board, the Free Arab Voice. http:// www.freearabvoice.org
Thursday, 5 February 2004.
Iraqi Resistance forces fired mortars at the US occupation base at Saddam International Airport near Baghdad on Thursday. A US aggressor spokesman acknowledged the barrage and said that one US occupation soldier had been killed and another wounded by one of the four mortar rounds that landed on the base.
The mortar barrage took place at about 2:15pm local time (11:15am GMT) and struck a logistics base near the occupied airport itself. A statement by the US occupation forces said the dead and wounded individuals had been manning a checkpoint outside the airport when they were hit.
In northern occupied Iraq US occupation forces arrested seven members of the puppet police force on charges of smuggling information about the movements of the aggressor forces on the local roads to the Resistance forces. The US occupation forces also suspect them of carrying out Resistance attacks and planting bombs on the highway linking Kirkuk with Tikrit.
Staff Captain Hamd al-‘Abidi, puppet police director in the town of ar-Rashadiyah, 65km south of Kirkuk, said he was surprised Thursday morning to find US occupation forces surrounding the puppet police station and then arresting the seven. One of those arrested is an officer, Faras at-Ta'i who was responsible for guarding the roads for the US occupation forces. The puppet police unit in ar-Rashadiyah is subordinate to the puppet police in the city of Kirkuk. Al-‘Abidi said, that the US occupation forces came to him every day during the ‘Id al-Adha holidays to interrogate him about the killing of three American occupation soldiers and the reasons for the breach in security, and how elements from outside the city could manage to plant the bomb that killed the soldiers on 31 January. On Monday an American convoy returning from the funeral of the three dead soldiers were barely able to escape death themselves in another attempted road bombing. The US occupation troops on Monday instead captured two Iraqis who supposedly had planted the bomb and came to suspect that the puppet police of Tikrit were involved, either directly or indirectly in the operation.
Al-‘Abidi said that the US occupation forces accuse the puppet police in ar-Rashadiyah of not doing “their duty” and of leaking information on US troop movements to the Resistance. Al-‘Abidi, however, denied any contact with the Resistance. On Wednesday, US occupation spokesman Robert Cargie announced that 13 puppet policemen in the town of “ar-Rashid” near Kirkuk would be replaced by puppet so-called civil defense forces – a group that the Americans themselves directly train.
Major General of the puppet police force Hamad Mazhar has under his command in the province of Salah ad-Din about 4,000 puppet policemen, many of whom have been arrested on suspicion of being involved in Resistance attacks on the US occupation troops.
The commander of the US 101 st Airborne Division centered in Mosul in northern Iraq, General David, Patrius, said on Thursday that what he called “foreign fighters”, by which he meant Arab and international anti-imperialist volunteers, were massing in the region and posing what he called a “terrorist threat” to the American invaders there. He said that the volunteers had been regrouping in the area “since summer.”
Shi‘ite cleric, Ayat Allah ‘Ali al-Sistani, survived an assassination bid on Thursday when his entourage was fired upon in the streets of an-Najaf, a security aide said. The incident occurred at 10:00am local time, but the aide said that as-Sistani was unhurt. Residents of an-Najaf said Sistani was traveling by car from his office to his home and stopped to greet passersby when his entourage was fired upon by at least four armed men. It was not immediately clear whether any of as-Sistani's bodyguards were injured. Muwaffaq ar-Ruba‘i, a leading Shi‘ite member of the US installed so-called “Interim Governing Council met with as-Sistani later on Thursday and said that the cleric was well following the attack. "For sure (as-Sistani) is safe and in good health," ar-Ruba‘i told reporters in an-Najaf. Reuters reported that as-Sistani's meeting with ar-Ruba‘i, who lived in exile in Britain before coming back under the cover of the US invasion troops, is part of the cleric's behind-the-scenes negotiations with Iraq's so-called interim political leaders in the run-up to the US propaganda show set for the middle of this year when, amidst the continued presence of tens of thousands of occupation troops, the aggressors will proclaim that “sovereignty” has been returned Iraqis. As-Sistani and other Shi‘ite clerics have been jockeying for the best possible position for themselves when the US occupation continues under another name in the second part of the year.
Still evidently frustrated at their inability to capture the Deputy Chairman of Iraqi's Revolution Command Council, ‘Izzat Ibrahim ad-Duri, US occupation forces on Wednesday announced that they had captured a relative of ‘Izzat Ibrahim. Lieutenant Colonel Steve Russell of the US occupation 4 th Infantry Division occupying Tikrit said that the American aggressors think they will be able to get “useful information” out of their new captive. Russell would not say when the man was arrested, only saying that he was trading in arms.
Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Friday, 6 February 2004.
Friday, 6 February 2004.
A roadside bomb planted by the Iraqi Resistance exploded hours after noon on Friday in Baghdad wounding two US occupation soldiers.
Iraqi Resistance fighters fired mortar rounds at the US occupation headquarters in the area of al-Iskandaiyah, south of Baghdad on Friday evening according to the correspondent of al-Jazeera TV who reported that eye witnesses had said that US occupation forces cordoned off the area and blocked all the roads leading to the base as clouds of smoke billowed into the sky in the area.
Iraqi Resistance forces attacked an American occupation checkpoint in Samarra' on Friday. Two Iraqis were martyred by US aggressor gunfire attack and two others wounded, according to an eyewitness and a medical source. Safa' Abu ‘Abbas, who owns a shop near the scene of the attack, said that two persons driving a red Japanese car fired an anti-tank rocket at the American roadblock but missed their target and then escaped. “The Americans returned fire, but only managed to kill one pedestrian and another man on a motorcycle in addition to wounding two children,” he said.
Islam memo carried a report that a Statement had been circulated in the city of al-Fallujah on Thursday evening that said that two Iraqis had been killed by the Resistance because they had been spy masters who had informed on residents of the area. Agence France Presse (AFP) reported that the Statement proclaimed: “People of al-Fallujah, we bring you good news that spy masters Sa‘dun ash-Shukr and Mustafa az-Zawbi‘i have been killed because they have informed on residents of al-Fallujah.” The Statement was signed “the Mujahideen.”
AFP reported that the families of the two men named in the statement confirmed that the killings occurred immediately after the two left their homes where cars were waiting for them. Men with their faces covered inside the cars opened fire upon the two men, killing them. The director of the puppet police in the town, Brigadier General ‘Abbud al-‘Isawi commented that “we have recently begun seeing men in cars with their faces covered,” and warned “we will fire on anyone with his face covered inside any car.” Al-‘Isawi also reported “we have begun observing Opal cars [reportedly a favorite with the Resistance forces because they are common in Iraq] with no license plates coming into town.” On Wednesday, medical sources and the puppet police had confirmed that a member of the local puppet council in al-Fallujah and one of his relatives had been wounded in an armed attack.
Several thousands of Iraqis took to the streets of al-Khalidiyah, 8km west of Baghdad, on Friday to demand the release of dozens of individuals arrested by the US occupation forces in a series of raids carried out in the region in recent days.
The protesters held Friday congregational prayers outside the US occupation base in an attempt dramatically to press their demand of freedom for the arrested citizens.
US occupation forces were put on an elevated state of alert as the demonstrators marched towards the invaders' base. The protesters demanded that the aggressors halt their indiscriminate and violent raids on houses of the population. Recently the US occupation forces together with their puppet police carried out a massive wave or violent raids in which they captured some 100 individuals whom they accuse of being “suspected” of having relations with the Iraqi Resistance.
Meanwhile the occupation forces have admitted that the number of daily operations against the invaders rose from 18 to 24 last week.
In Tikrit US aggressor forces announced that they had captured six Iraqis including two individuals who, they claim are high ranking members of the network of Resistance supporters of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. The captures came amid dawn raids on houses early Friday
Meanwhile, on his way to Munich, Germany, US defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld, eager to take the pressure off the Bush administration over the rising death toll in Iraq, expressed the hope that the American-controlled NATO alliance would take on a larger roll in Iraq, sacrificing European soldiers for US imperial interests. Rumsfeld said that the second item on the agenda of the NATO conference he was to attend in Munich was Iraq, the first being Afghanistan, where NATO forces are already more deeply embroiled.
On Friday conflicting stories emerged about the reported assassination attempt on the life of Shi‘i cleric ‘Ali as-Sistani. While the man responsible for as-Sistani's security told the Agence France Presse (AFP) that he “was the victim of an assassination attempt on Thursday,” a spokesman for as-Sistani in Karbala' denied in a Friday sermon and also in an interview with the AFP that the cleric came under attack.
Shi‘i religious leaders called for calm during Friday sermons as they denied that as-Sistani had been attacked. Shaykh ‘Abd al-Mahdi al-Karbala'i, a religious representative of as-Sistani said that he had spoken to as-Sistani himself in an-Najaf and that as-Sistani had emphatically and categorially denied the report of his attack.
Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Saturday, 7 February 2004.
Saturday, 7 February 2004.
An American occupation commander has reported that a roadside bomb planted by the Iraqi Resistance exploded in Baghdad at 3:00 p.m., wounding two US soldiers, according to a dispatch by Islam memo.
Saturday morning Iraqi Resistance fighters attacked the US military occupation headquarters in Kirkuk with mortars, according to the correspondent for al-Jazeera in the city that lies north of Baghdad. The correspondent provided no details regarding damage or casualties.
Iraqi Resistance fighters on Saturday morning also attacked a puppet police bus with rocket-propelled grenades and light weapons in al-Fallujah, wounding seven of puppet policemen, according to a report from al-Jazeera's correspondent in ar-Ramadi. Five of the wounded men are reported to be extremely gravely wounded. Two Iraqi civilians who happened to be in the area of the attack were also reportedly wounded. According to Puppet police First Lieutenant Ra‘d Mus‘ab, quoted in the New York Post, the Resistance attack took place near the offices of the Mayor of al-Fallujah. He said that the Resistance attackers were able to get away after carrying out their operation.
Iraqi puppet police reported finding a cache of some 200 mortar shells in the Qizilyar area north of Kirkuk.
In Baghdad former employees of the Iraqi Ministry of Information who lost their jobs after the US invasion held a demonstration in front of the headquarters of the US occupation regime calling for their rights as government employees to be guaranteed by the occupation authorities and the puppet so-called Interim Governing Council.
In a statement the demonstrators said that the cut off of their pay for four months conflicts with the claims of “liberation” and “democracy” raised by the US occupation forces. The protesters also called on religious authorities, political parties, and lawyers to take up their case and put an end to what they called the “injustice” that is being done to them.
Japanese news reports said on Saturday that Tokyo has suspended flights of its occupation soldiers to US-occupied Saddam International Airport out of fear for the safety of the troops, in the wake of an Iraqi Resistance mortar attack on the airport this week. Japan had planned for sending 200 Japanese Airforce personnel and 3 C-130 transport airplanes now in Kuwait into Iraq around the middle of February via various airports in the occupied country.
According to Agence France Presse (AFP) the planned trips to Baghdad are now pending the outcome of an investigation of the mortar attack that took place on Thursday and left one American dead and another wounded.
A Spanish government commissioner has declared that if Spain is put in charge of the so-called international unit serving the US occupation in Iraq on 30 June this year, Madrid will need to send an additional 1,000 Spanish soldiers to join the force of 1,300 already in occupied Iraq. Fernando Dies Morino was quoted by the Spanish newspaper ABC that it was clear that Poland, currently in charge of the force, would not be extending its current role as commanding unit of the so-called multinational force, and he doubted that the NATO alliance as such would take up the task either. Spain has reportedly notified its NATO allies that Madrid's position on taking up the role would only be clarified after the legislative elections in the country slated for 14 March.
A source in the puppet security administration of Iraq has disclosed in a dispatch carried by us.moheet.com quoting the Saudi newspaper ash-Sharq al-Awsat that they have learned the identity of the martyrdom bomber who detonated himself on New Year's night in front of the Nabil Restaurant in the al-Masbah neighborhood of al-Karradah in the Iraqi capital. The Saudi paper reported that the puppet security source had disclosed that the operation was carried out by a Palestinian born in Baghdad in 1984 who lived with his family in the at-Ta‘lim neighborhood adjacent to al-Karakh. Puppet security forces have reportedly interrogated the father of the martyrdom fighter in the course of their investigation of the attack.
Special Report: US interrogating Iraqi Rocket Forces crews who launched missiles at “Israel” in 1991.
The Jordanian newspaper al-‘Arab al-Yawm reports on the authority of “Iraqi military sources” that the US occupation forces have summoned a number of the Iraqi Rocket Forces crews who carried out the 39 missile launches against “Israel” in 1991 for questioning. The sources told the Jordanian daily that US occupation forces have interrogated a number of commanders and officers of the Iraqi Rocket Forces concerning the potential of those weapons and the circumstances surrounding the giving of the orders to launch the missiles at selected targets in occupied Palestine on 18 January 1991 and on US military bases in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, and al-Bahrayn.
The Iraqi sources told the Jordanian newspaper that US occupation forces have lists of names of the crews and units of the Iraqi Rocket Forces as well as where they were stationed, their military ranks, and their roles in the launch of the missiles against the Zionist entity that occupies Palestine.
The Iraqi sources believe it is likely that “Israel” and in particular the Zionist spy agency the Mossad is behind the wave of summonses and interrogations of officers and crews of the Iraqi Rocket crews with the aim of learning the secrets and undisclosed information about the Iraqi missile offensive against the Zionist entity as well as the locations of some of those crews outside of Iraq.
The sources indicated that the investigations of the Rocket Forces crews are focusing on the Iraqi scientists who developed the rockets and extended their ranges, as well as the places in which they were concealed, in addition to how the launchers were prepared which fired the missiles. Also among the major issues of interest to the US occupation interrogators is information on how they were maneuvered during the period of the rocket offensive against the Zionist entity.
Al-‘Arab al-Yawm noted that the Iraqi Rocket Forces were directly subordinate to the President of Iraq, Saddam Hussein and took orders only from him. Iraq named the missiles in its arsenal al-Husayn, al-‘Abbas, and Ababil.
Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Sunday, 8 February 2004.