Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 8 January 2004

through Sunday, 11 January 2004.  Translated and/or

compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board

of the Free Arab Voice.

Thursday, 8 January 2004.

The Iraqi Resistance shot down an American occupation

UH-60 Black Hawk medevac helicopter on Thursday,

killing all nine US occupation troops aboard,

according to an American military statement, which

avoided admitting that the crash of the helicopter was

due to Resistance gunfire, however.  Eyewitnesses told

the correspondent for al-Jazeera television that they

saw a missile hit the helicopter causing it to crash

over the village of Zawbi', near the town of

an-Nu'aymiyah, 5km southeast of al-Fallujah.

Witnesses said that two helicopters had been hovering

in the area when one of them crashed.

There were no survivors among the nine American

occupation soldiers aboard the medical evacuation

helicopter that crashed about 2:20 pm near the city of

al-Fallujah, said Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt. The

cause of the crash was "unknown", he said.

Al-Fallujah, west of Baghdad, is a flash point of the

resistance against the US occupation where Resistance

fighters previously have shot down US helicopters.

On Friday, however, a source in the Pentagon, who

asked that his name not be used, admitted that the

Black Hawk medevac helicopter had "possibly" been shot

down by a surface-to-air missile fired by the Iraqi

Resistance.  He said that the pilot of a second

helicopter in the area observed firing coming from the

ground.  The Pentagon source said, in a report carried

in the Saturday issue of the Amman daily al-Arab

al-Yawm: "I heard a report to the effect that the

pilot saw weapons fire that could have struck the rear


Initial accounts of the crash from the American

military spokesman had said that there were eight

persons aboard the craft: four crew members and four


After the crash, occupation forces brought in

reinforcements, including four more helicopters, and

sealed off the area of the crash and closed all the

roads leading to it.  The helicopters hovered over the


In a separate incident Iraqi Resistance fighters hit a

C-5 American occupation transport plane with a

surface-to-air missile just after take off.  None of

the 67 aggressor troops on board was reportedly hurt,

but the airplane had to make a forced landing at the

airport, according to the Pentagon announcement of the

incident.  In a report in Saturday's issue of the

Jordanian daily al-Arab al-Yawm, a Pentagon spokesman

was quoted as saying that a surface-to-air missile

apparently destroyed the airplane's engine No. 3, but

explained that it was able to return to the airfield

on the power of the remaining motors.

The American occupation forces announced on Friday

that an American contractor working for the occupation

of Iraq was killed in a Resistance attack on a convoy

on Thursday.  A puppet soldier in the so-called Iraqi

Civil Defense Corps was also killed in that assault,

in which Resistance fighters opened fire on the

aggressors from a passing car.  Master Sergeant Robert

Cargie, press liaison with the 4th Infantry Brigade

said that the contractor was driving a truck in the

convoy which was in the vicinity of the town of Balad,

north of Baghdad when the Resistance opened fire. 

Cargie added: "two drivers were wounded but the third

was killed."  Cargie said that military occupation

vehicles were accompanying the convoy.  He said that

the condition of the two wounded men was stable.

Also on Thursday, a US occupation soldier died of

injuries suffered in an Iraqi Resistance  mortar

attack a day earlier that wounded 34 others west of

Baghdad.  The US military claimed that seven of the

wounded were treated and returned to duty and the

others were hospitalized at the base.

American occupation troops belonging to the 8th

Infantry Regiment were attacked by Resistance Fighter

near the city of Samarra' on Thursday.  The Resistance

fighters, in five cars, fired rocket-propelled

grenades at the American aggressors.  The American

occupation spokesman Robert Cargie claimed that the US

forces fired back at the Resistance fighters and

killed two and wounded a third.  He said that three of

the Resistance vehicles were destroyed in the battle,

the other two escaped.

One Iraqi puppet soldier in the so-called Civil

Defense Corps was killed by the Iraqi Resistance as he

guarded a fuel station north of the city of Tikrit.

On Thursday US aggressor forces and their local

stooges discovered an attempt by the Iraqi Resistance

to fire rockets at the puppet police headquarters in

Baghdad.  The Resistance fighters escaped but the

occupation authorities confiscated the rockets,

according to Major Roger Hedgepeth of the American

occupation 18th Military Police Brigade.

In Kirkuk near the headquarters of a Turkoman

political party, the Iraqi Resistance killed on puppet

policeman who was standing guard at the institution.

In Zakhu in the north of the Kurdish dominated area of

Iran near the Turkish border three Kurdish Iraqis were

killed and four others wounded when they reportedly

tried to open up an old artillery shell.  The Iraqi

puppet police said that the blast occurred in one of

the newly established workshops in central Zakhu as

the men in question were smelting scrap metal taken

from old munitions.  Their purpose was to sell the

metal to manufactories in Iraq and Turkey.

On Thursday US occupation forces carried out a massive

wave of searches and arrests in the Kirkuk area,

capturing dozens of persons on the excuse of their

having "unlicensed weapons," according to Major

General Turhan Yusuf, the puppet police commander in


A puppet policeman in Baghdad, announced that an

explosive device had detonated in Baghdad slightly

injuring a "civilian."

Hundreds of angry Iraqis, meanwhile, waited outside

Baghdad's infamous Abu Ghurayb prison where the US

aggressors hold many of their Iraqi captives, for a

much-publicized release of detainees that did not

occur by late afternoon. Relatives of prisoners held

by the US invaders waited in frustration for hours,

hoping relatives would be among the prisoners whom the

US promised would be freed in what US occupation

officials portrayed as a goodwill gesture.  The plan

calls for the release of less than 4 percent of the

Iraqis now claimed to be in occupation prison camps,

and is little more than a token gesture.

American occupation guards said they had no orders to

release anyone, and an Iraqi lawyer, Mohammed

al-Tamimi, expressed doubt anyone would be freed

Thursday from Abu Ghurayb.

As families waited for hours in the sun outside the

Abu Ghurayb prison, a US occupation truck made its way

through the crowd to deliver a new batch of Iraqi

detainees, their hands bound behind them and their

heads covered in green bags, to the facility.

There was more confusion when three truckloads of

prisoners were driven out of the prison and those

waiting rushed out into the street after them,

stopping traffic. 

But an official said that was a routine release that

had nothing to do with the amnesty that was announced

Wednesday by US proconsul L. Paul Bremer.  "This has

nothing to do with Bremer's announcement," Lieutenant

Cololnel Roy Shere said.  Shere, a spokesman for the

800th Military Police Brigade, which operates prisons

in Iraq, said the unit had not received any order to

release prisoners under the amnesty.

Later reports indicated that the two truckloads,

containing some 60 prisoners were indeed the releases

that the Bremer announcement had promised.  The trucks

took the prisoners, some 500 meters away from the

prison for the release, forcing the crowd of relatives

to chase after them.

The Agence France Presse (AFP) said that Operation

Handover was completed with few signs of joy or

celebration.  There were no chants and no joyous

ululation since many of the citizens who waited hours

hoping to see their loved ones returned empty-handed. 

Those whose relatives did emerge mostly left

immediately for their homes without fanfare.  Those

people whose relatives failed to come out circulated

among the departing prisoners showing pictures of

their family members and trying to find any

information about their fates.

A few of the released prisoners were interviewed by

the press.  Ahmad Ghazi (22) told the AFP that the

first stages of his imprisonment were "very hard."  He

said "they interrogated me for four days constantly

from early morning until midnight while my hands were

bound and my head was on the ground."  He showed

reporters the scars left by the fetters on his wrists.

 "They wanted me to admit that I had attacked them,"

explaining that the charge against him was "taking

part in operations against the American forces."

Released prisoner Sa'd Hamed 'Ali related that he was

arrested after being shot at on a street where there

was a gunbattle involving Americna occupation forces. 

But Sa'd, who was imprisoned for four months and ten

days does no know what the charge against him was, nor

the reason for his arrest.  He says: "They arrested me

just because they thought I was suspicious.  I was

never interrogated."

Muhammad 'Atrus spoke about an uprising (intifada) by

the Abu Ghurayb prisoners that took place last summer

in protest against their being kept in detention. 

"Many of the prisoners died as martyrs when the

[American] soldiers opened fire on them."

Basel 'Abd al-Khaleq said that the prisoners released

on Thursday all came from the first eight camps in the

prison, pointing out that there were no releases from

the "heavy camps."  Those prisoners, he said "don't

see us and we don't see them.  They are the leaders

and officials and heads of tribes."

Basel, a former officer in the Army of the Republic of

Iraq, who was taken prisoner on 17 July 2003, said

that he was not personally tortured.  "But they

brought in people in a pitiable state.  The Chief of

Staff of the Second Corps [of the Army of the Republic

of Iraq], for example, was brought in from his

interrogation with his ribs broken as a result of


Most of the stories of those arrested on Thursday, the

first batch of those supposedly slated to be released,

indicated that they had been arrested merely "on

suspicion" and that they were not people who had

actually been involved in attacks on the American

occupation forces.

Hasan Ahmad Hamzah, for example, who was subjected to

a harsh interrogation lasting four days during which

he was beaten and deprived of food and water, said:

"The charge against me?  What charge?  I don't know

why I was arrested."

Kamel, who was arrested with five of his brothers when

their house was raided said "They said that they

arrested me on suspicion. They wrote on a piece of

paper that I am a suspect."

Bremer had said they would release 506 of some 12,800

prisoners and that the first 100 would be freed

Thursday from Abu Ghurayb.  The rest were expected to

be freed "in coming weeks" from the many concentration

camps that the US occupation has set up all over the


Later, on Thursday, US occupation sources issued a

claim that they are only holding 6,700 prisoners, of

whom 99 were described as very important, while 257

were described as "foreign fighters."  In addition,

the American sources said, there are 2,500 prisoners

being held for violations of public law.  There was no

ready explanation for the discrepancy in reports about

the number of prisoners in the occupation's camps and


Bremer stipulated that before they are released the

prisoners must first sign a statement renouncing what

he called "violence" and have a community or tribal

leader accept responsibility for their conduct. 

Aggressor officials claimed that those to be released

were low-level "associates" of Resistance fighters who

had not been directly involved in any attacks.


Occupation troops have routinely rounded up thousands

of people "suspected of attacks" or of funding the

Iraqi Resistance.  But relatives at the prison said

people were being arrested unjustly and there were

dozens of tales of men detained simply because they

were near the scene of an attack.  After people are

taken prisoner, their families frequently hear nothing

more from them for months and do not even know where

their loved ones are being held.

The release of prisoners has been a top demand of the

country's community and tribal leaders, as well as

human rights advocates who recognize that families are

searching for relatives who get detained and have not

been heard from for months.

Meanwhile, late on Thursday night, US occupation

troops launched what was described as "one of the

biggest raids" since Bush declared his war operations

over on 1 May.  More than 300 aggressor troops, backed

by Bradley armored fighting vehicles and helicopter

gunships and Specter AC-130 aircraft, ransacked some

20 houses and three stores in a large section of

Tikrit.  After first sealing off whole sections of the

city from the outside world, the invading troops

carried out a four-hour operation, in which they

arrested 46 Iraqis, some of them brothers, suspected

of defending their homeland by launching attacks

against the occupation forces.  The American company

The Associated Press wrote that the occupation

"soldiers dragged men and teenage boys from their

homes into the drizzly Tikrit streets."  Of those

caught up in the sweep, the AP reported, nine were

later turned over to Iraqi puppet police after being

found to have played no role in attacks on US forces. 

Just why they needed to be handed over to the puppet

police if they were not involved in the Resistance was

not explained.  Occupation troops reported that they

also seized bomb-making materials, including wireless

door bells commonly used as triggers, computers and a

handful of weapons.  The AP wrote that the raids had

been planned for the past two weeks and relied on

"intelligence information" provided by Iraqi spies and

officers from the so-called puppet civil defense

corps, which is now being described as occupied Iraq's

"new internal security force."  Lieutenant Colonel

Steve Russell, commander of the US occupation army's

Tikrit-based 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment of

the 4th Infantry Division, said that additional raids

are planned.

Steve Russell later said that 16 of the captives had

been released, while 30 remained under interrogation.

In Washington, meanwhile, the military command plans a

shakeup of its command, which has been failing badly

in its efforts to pacify occupied Iraq.  Pentagon

officials say they are now considering appointing a

general who has more experience to oversee security

matters in Iraq while a general of lower rank would be

in command of the operations against the Resistance.

The US also began its troop rotation, an operation

that is supposed to replace most of the 125,000 troops

reportedly now occupying Iraq by May 2004.  Hundreds

of soldiers of the 82nd Airborne Division left their

base in the US state of North Carolina for Iraq at the

start of the four-month rotation program.  A number of

troops of the same division will be transferred to

Iraq from Afghanistan.

Meanwhile the Marine Corps is to take over control of

what the American occupation calls the "Sunni

Triangle" north and west of Baghdad in the hopeless

effort of putting down the Resistance, something which

the US Army has clearly failed to accomplish.  The

Marines, apparently, have little new to offer to the

American counter-insurgency campaign, since the

commander of the 1st Marine Division, Major General

James Mattis told The Washington Post that the mission

of his troops is to focus on killing or capturing

members of the Resistance while trying to reduce

popular support for the Resistance.  This essentially

is the same mission that the US Army has tried in vain

to accomplish.

According to the American newspaper, the plan for the

Marine deployment involves "a tactic reminiscent of

the U.S. presence in Vietnam" whereby "platoons of

Marines will live among the people in many Sunni towns

and villages to facilitate training of the Iraqi

[puppet] police and [puppet] civil defense forces." 

These so-called "Combined Action Platoons" are to

receive training in "cultural sensitivity" and are

supposed to win over the hearts and minds of the

population  similar to the effort made by US forces

in Viet Nam  one that clearly failed to affect the

outcome of the liberation war.  In addition, the

Marines are hoping to use less indiscriminate force 

such as artillery and aerial bombardments of populated

areas  than the US Army has been using.  According to

one Marine officer the aim of the new tactics is

"winning popular support, not blowing up people's

houses," and is based on the notion that only a "small

minority" of Iraqis are determined to fight the US


The new tactics are not, of course, based on goodwill

to all but primarily on military tactics against the

Resistance.  General Mattis said that the Marines

would "employ some novel and aggressive tactics"

against the Resistance. The Washington Post, loyal to

the imperial ruling class, commented: "At Mattis's

request, The Washington Post is not printing

information about those tactics."

In broad outline, however, Mattis seems to have little

new to offer, besides the "hearts and minds" public

relations effort that failed in Viet Nam.  Mattis told

The Washington Post: "We don't see any difference in

our appreciation of the situation from the 82nd

Airborne [Division of the US Army].  We believe very

strongly that the 82nd Airborne has it right, not only

in the estimate of the situation but also in their

concept of operations and in their tactics."

In another development, the US pulled out 400

technical personnel who had been searching for the

weapons of mass destruction that never existed but

which constituted the public relations excuse used by

the Bush Administration to try to win international

support of its illegal invasion of Iraq.  The

withdrawal of the technicians is another proof that

the Administration never expects to find any of the

imaginary weapons.


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Friday, 9 January 2004.

Friday, 9 January 2004.

In the area of ar-Ramadi an American occupation patrol

was hit by a roadside explosion.

Iraqi Resistance fighters attacked an American

occupation check point jointly manned by the US

aggressors and their puppet police stooges at the

entrance to the city of al-Fallujah, west of Baghdad.

The occupation forces fired back at the Resistance

fighters but there was no word of casualties on either


Iraqi Resistance fighters fired rocket-propelled

grenades at an American occupation patrol as it

carried out house-to-house raids in the city of

al-Fallujah.  The attack left one puppet policeman

injured.  American aggressor troops opened fire

indiscriminately immediately after the attack and then

sent out forces to pursue their attackers.

That incident in al-Fallujah came just hours after the

Iraqi Resistance fired rockets at the Burj al-Hayat or

Hayat Tower hotel in central Baghdad on Friday.  The

Hayat Tower is a residence of foreign contract

businessmen supporting the American occupation of

Iraq. News reports said that three missiles hit rooms

on the hotel's fourth and fifth floors early Friday

morning.  Some hotel guards said that they exchanged

gunfire with the attackers who had approached the

building in a car.  There were no reports of


Steve Senter, a contractor working with the American

occupation army said "I was sleeping when I heard a

couple of explosions and the Kurdish guards yelling."

In the city of Karbala' a rocket-propelled grenade was

fired at the puppet police station causing damage to

the building but no reported casualties.

In Kirkuk, a US occupation patrol opened fire by

mistake on an Iraqi puppet police patrol that was

stopped in the middle of a square in the northern part

of the city, at about 8:30 pm (1730 GMT), when it

heard heavy gunfire in the area, according to puppet

police chief General Turhan Yusuf.  "US forces have

admitted killing two Iraqi [puppet] policemen by

mistake and said that they have opened an

investigation," he said.

'Ardi 'Ali, a Kurd, died on the spot, while Ibrahim

Hadi, a Turkman, died at the hospital, according to

Yusuf.  An occupation spokesman in Baghdad had no

immediate information about the incident.

Elsewhere, the Iraqi puppet police reported stated

that two brothers died on Thursday  Friday night when

a mortar shell landed in the garden of their house

located near Baaqubah.

On Friday, the United States imperial Defense

Department officially declared that President Saddam

Hussein of Iraq is a prisoner of war, thereby ending

uncertainty about how the occupation forces regard the

Iraqi leader.  Legally speaking this means that Saddam

Hussein must be treated according to the provisions of

the Geneva Convention.  It also means that that the

American aggressors might now have legal cover for

bringing the Iraqi President before a so-called

"trial" for alleged "war crimes."  In fact the AFP

said that an American imperial spokesman emphasized

that the POW status accorded to the Iraqi President

was a legal basis for bringing Saddam Hussein before

one of the mock victor's show trials that the imperial

United States delights in staging, in order to show

the world that Washington is the supreme criterion of

international legality and supreme judge of right and


Yet although given the present balance of power in the

world, American definitions of "legal" and "illegal"

are likely to dominate any sort of "international

trial," the Geneva Convention also bans "exposing a

prisoner to insult or public curiosity," something

which the American side was clearly guilty of when

they filmed and broadcast scenes of the drugged Iraqi

President being examined by a doctor.

Meanwhile British spokesmen who wished to remain

anonymous reported that the Iraqi President is

refusing to cooperate with his captors'


In other news, six people were killed and at least 39

others were injured in an explosion near a Shiite

mosque that occurred on Friday as worshippers streamed

out of congregational prayers in the city of Baaqubah,

according to medical officials in the central Iraqi

town. Eyewitness accounts of what happened were

conflicting, according to the report carried by

al-Jazeera TV.  Some said that the blast occurred when

an explosives-laden car blew up.  Others accused the

American occupation forces of shelling the area.

According to the Iraqi puppet police that attack on

the Shiite mosque coincided with a successful effort

by the puppet police to disarm a booby-trapped car

outside another Shiite Husayniyah (place of worship).

The Associated Press, which attributed the explosion

to sectarian violence, nevertheless  remarked that the

sectarian violence that has emerged in Iraq after the

US occupation: "appeared separate from the guerrilla

campaign against U.S. troops, which has focused in the

majority Sunni regions north and west of Baghdad. But

sectarian attacks have also raised resentment against

the Americans among some Iraqis, who blame the

occupation for the lawlessness and chaos of

post-Saddam Iraq."


Saturday, 10 January 2004.

One American occupation soldier was wounded when his

patrol came under Iraqi Resistance machine gun attack

Saturday in the town of  'Ata in the west of al-Anbar

Province.  US military occupation sources refused to

confirm or deny the attack carried by Islam Memo from

al-Watan al-Arabi, which quoted WAS.  The occupation

did say, however, that members of the 82nd Airborne

Division opened fire Saturday on two persons who were

planting an explosive device on the main road in

al-Anbar Province.

In Baghdad, two Estonian soldiers suffered what were

described as minor injuries when a grenade was thrown

at their patrol on Saturday, according to Estonian

army spokesman Peeter Tali.

One Iraqi Resistance fighter was shot dead and

martyred by occupation troops when he threw two hand

grenades during a demonstration in al-'Amarah,

according to the report of an American occupation

spokesman.  The spokesman said that "an Iraqi

Resistance fighter was killed during a violent

demonstration in al-'Amarah."  The spokesman said that

the Resistance fighter had thrown two hand grenades

and was about to throw a third when aggressor troops

cut him down with their gunfire.

But the demonstrators in al-'Amarah denied that any

attack on the occupation troops had taken place.  The

said that the occupation troops opened fire on 600

demonstrators who had assembled in front of the

municipal offices to demand employment.

Rida Hassun, 23, said "we came to look for jobs but

instead in stead of providing any, they opened fire on

us."  Sources in the puppet police and the hospital

said that the puppet police opened fire Saturday on

the protesters who were throwing stones. At least six

demonstrators were killed in the southern Iraqi city

of al-'Amarah.  A physician in the local hospital said

that six had been killed and seven wounded.

Gunfire from the American occupation troops killed two

of their own puppet police on Saturday.  According to

US occupation spokesmen, the two puppet policemen

failed to identify themselves when an occupation

patrol challenged them.  The puppet policemen were

apparently involved in a domestic disturbance in the

city of Kirkuk and the American occupation troops

mistook them for attackers.

On Saturday, the Danish military serving the American

occupation of Iraq, said its engineering troops and

Icelandic de-miners found artillery shells near a

place they called Quarnah, north of al-Basrah, which

they alleged may contain chemical blister agents. The

shells were wrapped in plastic but some had leaked and

they appeared to have been buried for at least 10

years, the statement said.  The shells were sent for

further testing to determine if they contained

chemical weapons, listed by the American imperialists

as "banned" in Iraq under resolutions which the United

States railroaded through the United Nations, an

organization that was largely reduced to a rubber

stamp for the US after the collapse of the Soviet


A public relations spokesman for the Iraqi puppet

police said that the puppet police had arrested what

it called a "gang" of non-Iraqis involved in smuggling

metal products out of the country.  The puppet police

said that they were found in possession of trucks and

large quantities of lead and iron.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Sunday, 11 January 2004.


Sunday, 11 January 2004.

Three explosions, one hour apart, shook the city of

Baghdad early on Sunday.  American occupation

spokesmen admitted that they had no idea where they

were coming from.

Iraqi Resistance fighters attacked an American

occupation patrol with anti-tank weapons in the Salah

ad-Din area of Kirkuk on Sunday, according to the

Iraqi puppet police.  Turhan Yusuf, local puppet

police chief, told the Agence France Presse (AFP) that

"an American military vehicle was damaged in the

attack that caused no casualties."

Also in Kirkuk, two explosions were reported near the

US military occupation office in the northern oil

city, but puppet police said they appeared to be only

percussion bombs.

Meanwhile Turhan Yusuf the puppet police chief in

Kirkuk also mentioned that two hand grenades went off

outside a Sunni mosque in the center of the city, and

outside the headquarters of the collaborationist

chauvinist Kurdish so-called Patriotic Union of

Kurdistan (PUK), which is lead by Jalal Talibani, a

member of the puppet so-called Interim Governing

Council, hand picked by the US occupation.

In the northern city of Mosul, four mortar shells

exploded at the office of the collaborationist

chauvinist Kurdish PUK office there Sunday morning,

damaging the building but causing no injuries,

according to chauvinist party officials who were there

at the time.

Sunday, occupation authorities said the body of an

Iraqi collaborating with the US-led occupation was

found in the southern city of al-Basrah, along with

another man not reportedly associated with the

occupation. The US occupation statement reported that

the one dead collaborator, Majed Hannun by name, had

been resident in the United States.  The other body

belonged to one of his "friends" who was known by the

name Na''um, according to the US reports.  The Iraqi

Resistance targets soldiers, Iraqi puppet police, and

all other stooges and collaborators working with the


Hundreds of Iraqis hurled stones at baton-wielding

British occupation soldiers Sunday in the southeastern

city of al-'Amarah, witnesses said, a day after puppet

police working for the occupation killed six

protesters and wounded at least 11.

Screaming protesters, some armed with sticks and

shovels, attacked in waves throughout the day, trying

to rush troops guarding the city hall. The British

aggressors drove the people back from the compound,

which also houses the US-led occupation force and the

1st Battalion of Britain's Light Infantry.

Small explosions and flashes of light exploded in the

crowd, believed to be from homemade bombs of tin cans

packed with explosives and nails and lit with



Soldiers blocked roads and periodically pushed

demonstrators back, sometimes with batons, sometimes

marching in unison behind riot shields and, against

younger protesters, simply shoving them with their


"Yesterday there were more adults with much more

violent intent," said British occupation Major Johnny

Bowron. We are trying to permit a peaceful protest but

prevent loss of life or damage to property."

Officials said they were demanding jobs in a city of

400,000 where the biggest employer was the Iraqi

government security force until the US invasion

imposed colonial rule.

On Sunday, demonstrators sent a representative to talk

to British occupation and Iraqi puppet officials, who

promised them 8,000 jobs, according to witnesses. But

protesters said a similar promise made weeks before

had not been fulfilled and the clash ensued. No Iraqi

puppet police were visible at the scene Sunday.

Elsewhere US aggressor troops arrested an Iraqi Sunday

suspected in last month's shooting of an American

soldier who was saved by his flak jacket.  Reportedly

acting on a neighbor's tip, occupation soldiers

arrested the man in an early morning raid on his home

in Tikrit, according to Lieutenant Colonel Steve

Russell, commander of the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry

Regiment of the U.S. Army's Texas-based 4th Infantry


The soldier allegedly shot by the Iraqi, Sergeant

Jeffrey Allen of Leitchfield, Kentucky, in the US,

made the capture, Russell said. Russell described the

Iraqi man, whose identity was not revealed, as a

member of Saddam's Fedayeen Resistance fighters. 

Allen was shot twice in the back on 30 December during

a patrol in Tikrit but was saved by a protective plate

in his flak jacket, Russell said.

On Sunday the command of the US occupation Marine

Corps announced that on Saturday two of its FA-18

Hornet bombers took off from the aircraft carrier

Enterprise in the Arabian Gulf and dropped laser

guided 900kg bombs on Iraqi Resistance mortar firing

points north of Baghdad.  The Marine Corps aggressor

announcement stated that this was the first time that

laser-guided weapons had been used this year.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Monday, 12 January 2004.