Iraqi Resistance Report for Monday, 12 January 2004

through Wednesday, 14 January 2004.  Translated and/or

compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board

the Free Arab Voice.

Monday, 12 January 2004.

Monday witnessed a number of clashes between the Iraqi

Resistance and the occupation forces as well as

demonstrations against the occupation in several


One American occupation soldier died and two others

were wounded when a bomb exploded near their convoy in

Iraq on Monday, the US military occupation has said. 

The attack occurred in the center of the capital,

Baghdad. In a statement, the US army said the

occupation soldiers were attached to the 1st Armored

Division. "One 1st Armored Division soldier was killed

and two were wounded when their convoy was attacked by

an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) at 1000 (0700GMT)

Monday in central Baghdad," a US military occupation

spokesman said.

Large explosions rocked central Baghdad later in the

day, but occupation officials reported no casualties. 

In those Resistance attacks later on Monday blasts, US

occupation and Iraqi puppet security officials said at

least two mortar shells exploded near the Baghdad

Hotel in the center of the occupied capital. At least

one round exploded in the Tigris River and the other

exploded on the riverbank, US aggressor troops

claimed. There were no casualties, the Americans


In ar-Ramadi Iraqi Resistance fighters detonated a

roadside bomb and then attacked a joint American

occupation and puppet so-called civil defense corps

patrol with machine guns and rocket-propelled

grenades.  In response, American aggressors opened

fire indiscriminately at houses and the neighborhood

generally, killing one Iraqi and wounding six others.

Local residents said two Iraqis were killed when the

Americans opened fire indiscriminately after the


'Umar Muhammad 'Ali who was at the scene told Agence

France Presse (AFP) that an explosive device went off

as the occupation patrol passed through the center of

ar-Ramadi, damaging an occupation vehicle.  'Ali added

that when eight vehicles belonging to the occupation

forces and the puppet reservist so-called civil

defense force arrived on the scene, the Resistance

fighters opened fire on them with automatic weapons

and RPGs.  During the exchange of fire that lasted

about 15 minutes, one Iraqi passerby was killed and

six others were wounded.  The American occupation

forces captured three or four persons, among them one

of the attackers, 'Ali said.

A puppet policeman said that the American occupation

soldiers attacked them, violently kicking them and

then binding their hands in spite of the fact that

they were the Americans' own puppet policemen and


Witnesses said that an Iraqi farmer was seriously

wounded in the explosion of a land mine that had been

planted by the side of a road leading to his farm.

Six Iraqi Resistance fighters were martyred by

occupation gunfire near Samarra' in an attack that the

US occupation forces claimed was an attempt by what

they described as "an armed gang" trying "to steal oil

from a pipeline" south of Samarra', 60 miles north of

Baghdad.  According to the military occupation account

provided by spokesman Master Sergeant Robert Cargie,

aggressor troops led to the scene by an informant late

Sunday found 40 men armed with AK-47 assault rifles in

10 to 15 vehicles at the pipeline.  Armed with M-16

rifles and 125mm cannons mounted on Bradley fighting

vehicles, the US aggressor troops shot and killed

seven of the men in a gunfight. The remaining people

escaped. Three fuel trucks and one transport truck

were destroyed during the clash, Cargie added. No

further details were available.  In the past, US

occupation spokesmen have tried to present Resistance

attacks as simple criminal attempts to rob banks and

the like.

Eyewitnesses told AFP that American aggressor forces

on Monday arrested the wife of an Iraqi suspected of

involvement in the Resistance in al-Fallujah.  The

arrest came when occupation forces raided the

suspected Resistance fighter's home.  The man himself,

Saber Turki, 35, was not home, so the aggressors took

his wife instead.

'Abd an-Naser Mahmud, a resident of al-Jawlan

neighborhood, told AFP that the occupation forces

surrounded the house with 13 military jeeps and then

raided the building.  Mahmud said that the American

occupation forces told the residents of the

neighborhood that they were taking Saber Turki's wife

and that Saber Turki himself had to turn himself in if

he wants to get his wife freed.  Mahmud said that the

unfortunate thing was that Turki had only been married

to the woman for five days.

In the Iraqi city of al-Kut, Ukrainian occupation

troops serving the United States fired into the air

Monday to disperse hundreds of Iraqis in a violent

demonstration for jobs and food as a second southern

Shiite Muslim city was rocked by unrest — a barometer

of rising frustration with the US occupation in a

region of Iraq that the occupation liked to consider

"friendly" to the Americans.

Unrest started in al-Kut, 95 miles southeast of

Baghdad, when about 400 protesters marched for a third

straight day on a government building to demand jobs.

According to Iraqi puppet police reports, someone in

the crowd threw a grenade at police and Ukrainian

occupation soldiers guarding the building, injuring

four Iraqi puppet policemen and one Ukrainian. 

According to puppet police Lieutenant Zafer Wedad the

Ukrainian occupation troops then fired in the air to

disperse the crowd, injuring one protester. He said

the demonstrators hurled bricks at the building and

trashed a post office in the city.

Al-Jazeera reported from al-Kut that two Ukrainian

occupation soldiers were wounded along with five

Iraqis, including four puppet policemen, in clashes

between Ukrainian forces and their puppet police

stooges on one side, and the Iraqi demonstrators

demanding jobs on the other.  Al-Jazeera quoted the

deputy commander of the Ukrainian occupation forces in

al-Kut as saying that his forces opened fire after two

hand grenades were tossed in the direction of his

troops who were guarding the building of the


Al-Jazeera's correspondent pointed out that the

Ukrainian occupation forces captured an al-Jazeera

cameraman in the city and confiscated his camera and

all the video cassettes he had with him.  The

cameraman is now being investigated in spite of the

fact that he has been covering events in al-Kut for

some time.

For the fifth straight day al-'Amarah witnessed

demonstrations of unemployed demanding work.  They

assembled outside the governorate building around

which the British occupation forces had beefed up

their guard.  British armored vehicles were drawn up

around the now largely vacant building.  All the

puppet officials and puppet policemen had already quit

the building, however, out of fear of the daily

confrontations that have so far claimed six Iraqi

lives and left eight other persons injured by

occupation and puppet police gunfire.

On Monday, however, there were no reported clashes,

though the demonstrations were forcibly broken up. 

British occupation forces closed a bridge near the

governorate building, and increased their patrols of

the area. British occupation helicopters buzzed the

scene over head constantly beginning at dawn, and

sharpshooters took up positions on a bridge under

construction on the Tigris River near the governorate.

Demonstrators claimed that three relatives of

al-Muhammadawi, a member of the puppet so-called

Interim Governing Council, including the provincial

governor Riyad al-Muhammadawi, were directly involved

in the shootings of the past days.

Demonstrators broke up to reassemble elsewhere to form

a march to the headquarters of the anti-disturbance

forces, but they were again broken up again by puppet

police forces who fired into the air and arrested two

of the protesters. 

In Baghdad, dozens of employees of the Iraqi national

airways demonstrated demanding the resumption of

airline services on the usual routes and demanding

also that the occupation forces leave Saddam

International Airport.  Airline employees of various

specializations – pilots, technicians, engineers –

gathered in front of the headquarters of the

occupation authority, which has occupied the former

Palace of Congresses in the center of Baghdad.  The

airline employees demanded to be sent back to work and

chanted "No to foreign airlines!", "Long live Iraqi


Captain 'Ala' ad-Din 'Abd al-Hamid told the AFP "we

have suffered a lot, and we have already presented

proposals for the future of Iraqi Airlines but nothing

has come of it.  We want to take back the airport to

finish the work there, to prepare ourselves, and to

serve our country. The company is our national carrier

and we must have our presence." 'Abd al-Hamid asked

"why are they making agreements with foreign airlines

to carry Iraqi pilgrims to Mecca?  Why can't we

perform this task which we always used to do

perfectly?  Why are they ignoring us?"

Another man said: "they claim that there's no security

for the resumption of airline service, but if that is

true, how come their planes take off from the airport?

 All the foreign planes are flying, just not Iraqi


Pilot 'Abd al-Khaliq Karim said that the Iraqi Airline

Company's cadre of about 2,400 people – pilots,

engineers, and other employees – are all unemployed at

the present time.

Danish and British occupation forces captured an

official in the Arab Baath Socialist Party who they

claim was part of a Resistance cell in the south of

the occupied country, according to a statement made by

a Danish occupation spokesman.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Tuesday 13 January 2004.a





Tuesday, 13 January 2004.

Iraqi Resistance forces shot down an American

occupation Apache attack helicopter Tuesday, the third

downed in less than two weeks, but US aggressor

sources claimed that the crew escaped unharmed.  An

American AH-64 helicopter gunship was shot down near

the town of al-Habbaniyah, in a western region near

where a medevac helicopter was downed a week earlier,

killing all nine soldiers on board. A Kiowa Warrior

helicopter was shot down in the area on Jan. 2,

killing the pilot.   This time the US aggressors

claimed that the AH-64's two-person crew was unhurt. 

US military occupation forces secured the area,

military spokesman Colonel William Darley said. "It

was apparently downed by enemy fire," he said.

Al-Jazeera's correspondent on the scene reported that

eyewitnesses said they saw two occupation helicopters

hovering in the area and that a rocket flew up from

the area and struck one of the helicopters.  The

aircraft caught fire and crashed.  Witnesses said they

did not see anyone aboard the craft and that the

American reinforcements that showed up an hour after

the crash did not bring ambulances or carry away


In Tikrit on Tuesday the correspondent of al-Jazeera

TV reported that an American military patrol was

attacked by the Iraqi Resistance who detonated a

roadside bomb on the expressway south of the city. 

The explosion crippled one US military vehicle.  There

have been no reports regarding possible losses in dead

or wounded occupation troops.

Near Samarra' on Tuesday, Iraqi Resistance fighters

opened fire on US aggressor troops.  The US military

occupation claimed its soldiers killed eight Iraqis

after their patrol came under fire outside Samarra' on

Tuesday. The Resistance attack occurred while the

invaders were on a vehicle patrol. Eight cars driving

past the convoy opened fire on the occupation

soldiers, who returned fire, killing eight Iraqis,

said spokeswoman Major Josslyn Aberle in occupied

Tikrit.  She said one Resistance fighter was wounded

and two vehicles were destroyed. The remaining six

cars were seized and their 26 occupants arrested, she


An American occupation soldier from the 101st Airborne

Division died late Tuesday in what the aggressor

spokesmen claimed Wednesday was a "non-hostile

incident" in northern Iraq.

In ar-Ramadi, Iraqi Resistance fighters in a car fired

at a puppet police, killing a puppet policeman and a

civilian bystander, according to puppet police major

'Adel 'Abd al-Karim.

Medical sources in al-Fallujah Hospital reported that

at least three Iraqis were killed and five others

wounded seriously when US occupation forces opened

fire on them.

American occupation sources in the area said that they

were fired upon by the Iraqi Resistance as they

observed a demonstration of several hundred local

peoplecalled by religious leaders in the city who were

protesting the behavior of the American occupation

forces and the increasing number of arrests of

citizens, including women.  The demonstrators accused

the American military occupation of carrying out armed

attacks upon women.  Demonstrators chanted "Bush, you

coward!" after US aggressor troops detained a young

17-year old woman while searching for a patriot, Saber

Turki. The woman, who relatives acknowledged was

handled only by female occupation soldiers, was

released after several hours questioning.

The protesters dispersed by noon.  American aggressor

reports indicated that the demonstration dispersed

peacefully and without incident, but the three dead

and five wounded Iraqis indicate that the Americans

were lying.

Maher Turki, brother of the arrested woman's husband,

said the aggressor troops were looking for another of

his brothers in the hope that he would inform on

Khamis Sirhan, reported leader of the Arab Baath

Socialist Party in al-Fallujah.  Saber Turki was not

at home when the American aggressors raided his house,

so the invader forces took his wife instead and

demanded that Turki turn himself in if he wanted her

released.  But rising public protests pressured the

aggressor troops to release the woman.

US occupation sources said that they surrounded the

demonstration after they came under fire. The

demonstrators chanted condemnation of the American

actions and demanded the release of arrested people.

Iraqi Resistance fighters detonated a roadside bomb

against US occupation forces in Baghdad on Monday. 

After the attack, US aggressor forces opened fire in

revenge on a random car and killed the driver and a

10-year old boy, according to relatives. The roadside

bomb went off near the checkpoint, hitting a US

occupation Humvee and killing a soldier. Soliders in

another Humvee started shooting, hitting a car

carrying the civilian family, said Wijdan 'Abd

al-Wahhab, aunt of the slain boy. 

The boy, 10-year-old Mustafa Jamal Shaikhli, and the

family driver, identified only as Haydar, were killed,

'Abdal-Wahhab said. Mustafa's 30-year-old mother and

another aunt were seriously wounded, she said. Also in

the car were the slain boy's 8-year-old son and

6-year-old daughter, who suffered minor cuts. "The

Americans have ruined an innocent family, children and

women," 'Abd al-Wahhab said, distraught and weeping at

the hospital. "They didn't even bother to look back at

them after shooting them." 

She said the family is fed up with the situation and

wants to "leave Iraq because of the Americans and the

(U.S.-installed) Governing Council."  The US military

occupation as usual did not confirm any of the

civilian casualties.  The Associated Press noted that

the shooting at the checkpoint was "the latest in a

growing number of cases of civilians being shot by

U.S. soldiers nearing the end of their tour before a

massive rotation begins next month."

Clashes resumed Tuesday in al-Kut between protesters

and Ukrainian occupation troops, with sporadic gunfire

heard at the western edge of the city, a day after the

Ukrainian aggressors fired bullets in the air to

control a rebellion by hundreds of people demanding

food and jobs.  Demonstrators threw percussion bombs

at the building that houses the governorate of al-Kut

and broke through several of the barricades that the

Ukrainian aggressor forces had erected around it.  The

Ukrainian occupation forces then opened fire into the

air to try to disperse the protesters.

In the northern city of Kirkuk, two hand grenades were

hurled inside a meeting of Arab tribal leaders and

American military occupation administrators. There

were no injuries in the blast, but US occupation

troops fired at the assailants, wounding three people,

police Major Turhan 'Abd ar-Rahman Yusuf said.

Also in Kirkuk, an operation of the US occupation

troops, who brought along their Iraqi puppet stooges,

captured 26 people, whom they claimed to be members of

the Iraqi government, Iraqi puppet police Colonel

Sarhad Qader reported.





Wednesday, 14 January 2004.

An Iraqi Resistance car bomb exploded in front of a

puppet police station in Baaqoubah, 60km north of

Baghdad. Puppet police said three people, including

the driver, were killed. A later report in the

Jordanian daily al-Arab al-Yawm for Thursday said that

the car, a green Toyota, was detonated by remote


The US military occupation put the death toll at five.

About 50 people were injured. All the victims were

Iraqis. Puppet police Colonel Salam 'Umar, who is

chief of the local police directorate, said the

explosives-laden car tried to enter the walled

compound of a one-story puppet police station at about

8:20 a.m., and exploded when guards opened fire on it.

 The blast martyred the bomber and killed two

bystanders, besides damaging the wall and shattering

windows at the station and shops across the street, he

said. A doctor in Baaqubah General Hospital said that

at least 15 of 31injured were puppet police.

Witnesses said that a number of vehicles and police

cars were destroyed in the blast and that the façade

of the police station was destroyed.  A spokesman for

the Iraqi puppet police said that the puppet police

guards had failed to prevent the car penetrating into

a secure area, allowing the driver to reach the

entrance to the police directorate.

Salam 'Umar said that the car used in the bomb attack

was registered in Baghdad and was owned by a woman who

lives in al-Karradah district in the Iraqi capital. 

He did not say whether the car had been reported


US occupation forces showed up at the scene of the

attack after the blast and cordoned off the area.

Three truck drivers were killed when Iraqi Resistance

fighters attacked their trucks on the road between

Tikrit and Samarra', as they were bringing goods and

supplies to the American occupation forces.  Iraqi

puppet police sources said that the dead drivers were

two Pakistani citizens and one Turk.  The bodies of

the dead aliens were taken to Tikrit General Hospital,

according to Lieutenant Colonel Makki Muhammad Mustafa

of the Samarra' puppet police.  Mustafa said "the

three trucks were bringing supplies to the American

forces concentrated in the environs of the city."

American occupation forces were injured in the attack

on a convoy that was bringing in military materiel.

In ar-Ramadi, west of Baghdad, US occupation troops

captured Khamis Sirhan al-Muhammad, a former regional

Baath Party chairman and militia commander who was No.

54 on the list of 55 most-wanted figures on the

American imperialist hit list, the military occupation

said Wednesday.  Al-Muhammad was arrested Sunday,

Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt said. He called

Al-Muhammad "an enabler" for many attacks against the

aggressors, but refused to discuss details of the

arrest.  The US occupation's search for Khamis Sirhan

al-Muhammad had supposedly been the reason for a

controversial search and arrest of a 17-year old bride

in al-Fallujah on Monday, though now the Americans

claim that al-Muhammad was already in their hands by

that time.

US invader forces carried out a pre-dawn raid against

family members of the Vice-Chairman of the Iraqi

Revolution Command Council 'Abd al-'Aziz ad-Duri,

reportedly capturing four of the Vice-Chairman's

nephews.  Forty aggressor soldiers from the 720th

Military Police Battalion based in Fort Hood, Texas,

USA, raided two houses in a dimly lit neighborhood of

Samarra' after a tip.  In one house, they claimed that

they captured one of the targeted nephews and his two

brothers. The second nephew was seized at a nearby

home, they said.  The two "main targets" are believed

to be in close touch with their uncle the Vice

President and finding safe houses for him, US

occupation Lieutenant Colonel David J. Poirier said. 

"They have information they can provide to us . . .

that would be extremely important," he said.  All four

were taken to a concentration camp in Tikrit at the

4th Infantry Division based inside an occupied Iraqi

state palace.  The Vice-Chairman's wife and daughter

were arrested by invader troops on 26 November 2003

and remain imprisoned.

A joint force of American occupation forces and

collaborationist Iraqi puppet police arrested six

persons, including one woman, who were reportedly

preparing an explosive device in Mosul.  The

occupation forces said the six Resistance fighters

were arrested in the al-Ghabat district when some of

them were planting the bomb while others kept lookout

on the main road frequented by US occupation forces

but also used by the Iraqi public.

US occupation forces arrested seven members of their

own Iraqi puppet police in the city of Kirkuk on the

suspicion that they were carrying information to the

Iraqi Resistance, helping the Resistance to carry out

operations against the occupation and its stooges in

the local puppet police.  All those puppet policemen

arrested are of Arab nationality.  They were taken to

the local airport where the US occupation forces have

their headquarters and will be interrogated there,

according to Major General Turhan Yusuf of the local

puppet police
Muhammad TaHa al-Husayni, a spokesman for the Shiite

religious leader AyatAllah 'Ali as-Sistani told a

group of students in al-Kufah that his leader

as-Sistani wants the resistance in Iraq to be only of

a non-violent type.  "As-Sayyid as-Sistani believes

that the resistance should be peaceful," he told the

group of engineering students at the local college. 

He said that as-Sistani opposes armed resistance to

the occupation because, as he claimed, that would

"harm the interests of the people."

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Thursday, 15 January 2004.