Iraqi Resistance Report for events from Monday 22
December through Wednesday, 24 December 2003.
Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr,
member, editorial board The Free Arab Voice.

Monday, 22 December 2003.

Two large explosions shook the center of the Iraqi
capital on Monday evening but it was not immediately
clear whether the blast had caused any casualties.

The Iraqi Resistance escalated its attacks today
against the occupation troops. A roadside bomb
exploded near a US occupation military convoy Monday,
killing two American occupation soldiers and an Iraqi
translator collaborating with them, the US military
said. Two other soldiers from the 1st Armored
Division were wounded in the attack that occurred at
about 11:45 a.m. in Baghdad.

In Kirkuk the Iraqi Resistance detonated an explosive
device in front of a hotel in which foreigners were
staying. Five persons, including two security men and
three foreigners were wounded.

The US occupation command also admitted on Monday that
four American occupation troops were wounded , one of
them seriously, in the blast of an explosive device
planted on a road near ar-Ramadi on the road to
al-Habbaniyah. One of the soldiers, he said, had
serious injuries to his head, while the three others
sustained light injuries.

An official in the Northern Oil Company said that a
new attack had been made at an oil pipeline linking
the Kirkuk Oilfields with the Bayji refinery causing a

An official in the fire fighting department of the
company said that he was, at the time of the
interview, still unable to say whether the blast
resulted from a bomb or some sort of missile or shell.

The Iraqi puppet police announced that two
unidentified armed men killed a member of the security
apparatus of the Baathist Iraqi government on Monday
in the center of Kirkuk. First Lieutenant Salam Jalal
Zankanah said that Saddam Isma'il Muhammad, 38, was
struck by five bullets in front of his house in

In an-Najaf, southern Iraq, al-Jazeera TV reported on
the authority of sources in the Iraqi puppet police
that occupation troops disarmed an explosive device
on Monday morning. The device had been planted at the
house of 'Abd al-'Aziz al-Hakim, the head of the
puppet so-called Interim Governing Council who is also
the head of the Iranian-backed so-called Supreme
Council of the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI).

One Iraqi citizen was killed and another injured on
Monday when American occupation soldiers opened fire
on them as they were leaving Tikrit, according to the
one of the wounded Iraqis who spoke later to the
Agence France Presse (AFP).

US aggressor troops overnight arrested an Iraqi
intelligence officer suspected of directing
anti-American attacks and raided a Baghdad mosque.
Sunday night, US occupation troops detained ex-army
General Mumtaz al-Taji at a house in Baaqoubah, about
30 miles north of Baghdad. "Tonight, we were on a
mission to capture a former Iraqi intelligence service
general who we believe is recruiting former military
members of the Iraqi army to conduct attacks against
US forces," Major Paul Owen of the 588th Engineer
Battalion told Associated Press Television News. "He
runs a very active cell in our sector, and hopefully,
what we have done tonight is to stall some of his
efforts," Owen said. More than 30 soldiers took part
in the raid, in which a rifle, pistol and ammunition
were seized. Al-Taji is not on the US occupation list
of the 55 most wanted Iraqis. Thirteen fugitives from
that list remain at large.

In southern Baghdad on Sunday, soldiers backed by
helicopter gunships surrounded the al-'Atiqah mosque,
ordered everyone out and searched it until early
Monday, a worker at the mosque told APTN. He said
troops used a blowtorch to break through a metal door
into a secure area where they found one assault rifle.
The mosque is used by Sunni Muslims.

In other towns, US occupation troops in tanks, Humvees
and Bradley armored vehicles imposed curfews and
roadblocks and went house to house, smashing through
doors in the search for guerrillas and weapons. Among
targeted towns are al-Fallujah, a center of resistance
west of Baghdad; Samarra', 75 miles north of Baghdad;
Jalulah, northwest of the capital; and Rawah near the
western border with Syria, where aggressor troops
cynically dubbed the raids "Operation Santa Claws."
In Samarra', a 70-year-old man died when US aggressor
troops put a bag over his head and prepared to detain
him Sunday night, Iraqis said. Neighbors said Mahdi
al-Jamal died of a heart attack.

One person was killed during an airborne raid Sunday
in Jalulah, on the house of a shaykh (tribal leader)
suspected of directing local Resistance, said
spokeswoman Major Josslyn Aberle of the 4th Infantry

A 60-year-old woman was killed Sunday and two other
Iraqi women injured when US aggressor soldiers blasted
open the reinforced steel door of the woman's home,
said Lieutenant Colonel Henry Kievenaar, who was
directing the US aggressor Army's 3rd Armored Cavalry
Regiment in raids in Rawah.

In Mosul, al-Arab al-Yawm reported that two Iraqi
citizens were wounded when a rocket-propelled grenade
intended for an American column hit their car instead.

Meanwhile, eyewitnesses said that a group of students
of the University of Diyala grew angry when a number
of American occupation troops took part in a
basketball competition and they launched angry
demonstrations rejecting the presence of the American
occupation forces in their country.

US aggressor troops have since Sunday been carrying
out raids and house-to-house searches in the city of
al-Fallujah. US occupation forces closed of the
districts of ash-Shuhada', ar-Rusafi, and Nazal in the
center of al-Fallujah and began raiding the isolated
residential areas.

Ahmad 'Adnan, a resident of al-Muhandisin neighborhood
said "the American forces arrested my father,
Lieutenant Colonel 'Adnan 'Abd al-Latif Isma'il who
was an officer in the last border center in the
Taribil district on the Iraqi-Jordanian border. They
also arrested my brother Mu'idd who is 20 years old
and a university student."

Another source who preferred to remain anonymous said
"the American forces also arrested 'Abd al-Majid
Hammadi, a member of the branch of the Baath Party.
The American forces are searching for Baathists and
army officers and for weapons in house-to-house
searches and they are not letting anyone at all to
come out or go in during their searches." He added
that the Americans were using loudspeakers to call on
the people of al-Fallujah to capture what they called
"terrorists and criminals," and they are promising
rewards. The US occupation forces are distributing
leaflets advertising a reward for anyone who informs
on a 'terrorist'.

In Baghdad, the US occupation military authorities
have resorted to force and threats of force to cope
with a severe fuel shortage caused by persistent
attacks by Iraqi Resistance, determined to deny the
occupation the benefits of profits from Iraqi oil. US
occupation forces put out flyers threatening to jail
people who sell gasoline on the black market. The
flyers cited new laws providing for confiscation of
the goods, fines of double the value of the goods and
jail sentences of three to 10 years. An official in
the puppet administration was quoted on Sunday as
admitting that capacity production at Iraq's
refineries had been cut in half by Resistance attacks
(See Iraqi Resistance Report for Sunday, 21 December

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm, daily newspaper, Amman,
Jordan, Tuesday, 23 December 2003.

Tuesday, 23 December 2003.

Iraqi Resistance fighters attacked an American
aggressor patrol in the center of Mosul on Tuesday,
wounding one US occupation soldier, according to an
American military occupation spokesman. Eye witnesses
said that a man opened machine gun fire on the
American patrol and then departed in a car. The
witness said that the attacker drove at high speed
and, as a result collided with another car, whereupon
he jumped out of his car and escaped on foot. US
occupation soldiers found a weapon in the car he had

Prominent Turcoman Judge Yusuf Khurshid was shot to
death by "unknown attackers" in the city of Mosul
during Monday to Tuesday night, according to an
officer in the puppet police.

The Iraqi Resistance attacked a US military convoy
delivering occupation currency newly issued by the
invading forces to a bank in Mosul. One person
described by the Agence France Presse (AFP) as a
"private security firm employee" working for the
American occupation was wounded in the attack. A
rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) hit a Humvee, wounding
an employee from Global Security, which is under
contract to the coalition to accompany shipments of
the new currency around Iraq, said Major Hugh Cate of
the 101st Airborne. The man, whose nationality was
not known, was rushed to a combat hospital after the

Brigadier General 'Ali 'Abbud Salim, the general
director of the puppet police for the protection of
installations in an-Najaf said that his men discovered
on Tuesday an artillery piece trained on the offices
of the Iranian-backed collaborationist so-called
Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution in Iraq
(SCIRI) which is led by 'Abd al-'Aziz al-Hakim. He
said that although his men were able to take control
of the artillery piece, they were unable to capture
the person who put it in place.

One Iraqi puppet policeman was wounded when he tried
to break up clashes between Arab, Kurdish, and
Turcoman students. Sources in the Iraqi puppet police
said that three Kurdish students were arrested and one
Turcoman in the aftermath of these clashes that took
place at the Kirkuk Technical Institute between
Kurdish students on one side and Turcoman and Arab
students on the other. According to the puppet police
report, the clashes broke out when Kurdish students
refused to raise the Iraqi national flag during a New
Year celebration. The Kurds objected to the words
"Allahu Akbar" ("God is greatest") which are
emblazoned on the flag in keeping with the addition
made by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein during the
period of the 1990-1991 30-nation aggression against
Iraq. These clashes also followed demonstrations by
Kurds in Kirkuk in recent days calling for the
ethnically mixed, but oil-rich, city to be added to
the Kurdistan region that lies to the north of the

As a result of the dispute, the Director of the
Institute canceled the celebration and called for all
the Iraqi, Kurdish, flags and that of the Turcoman
Front to be taken down. But the Kurdish students
refused to bring down their flag and attacked one
member of the police force, which act impelled the
police to arrest a number of the students.

US occupation forces claim to have arrested 16 Iraqi
Resistance fighters in the city of Kirkuk, in the
north of the occupied country. Colonel Khattab 'Abd
Allah 'Aref, puppet emergency police director in
Kirkuk, said that the American occupation forces
supported by individual members of the Iraqi puppet
police, arrested armed Resistance fighters after they
obtained information that they were planning
operations against the main base of the US occupation
forces in the city.

Elsewhere, sources within the puppet police reported
that the American occupation troops had arrested 20
members of an Islamic group led by 'Ali Babir in
Kirkuk on suspicion that they are supporters of the
Ansar al-Islam Islamist organization that is fighting
against the occupation. US occupation forces arrested
Babir himself in July.

In Baaqubah, US occupation forces claim to have
arrested three armed Resistance fighters, among them
one man whom they describe as the head of a cell that
was in contact with the Deputy Chairman of the
Revolution Command Council of Iraq, 'Izzat Ibrahim

American Lieutenant Colonel William Adamson said that
the three prisoners are members of "extremist
religious organizations" and claimed that they had
carried out attacks in the cities of Baaqubah,
al-Fallujah, and ar-Ramadi. Adamson also claimed that
the US invader forces had discovered another cell that
he described as "important", four of whose members had
been taken prisoner. Adamson described one of those
men as a high-ranking officer in the former Iraqi
intelligence service, but gave no further details.

An Iraqi puppet police official said that puppet
so-called Civil Defense units disarmed an explosive
device in the center of Baaqubah. He said that "the
device weighed 10kg and was of a remote-controlled
type that usually targets American soldiers."

Hospital sources report that ten elderly persons have
been admitted to hospital after taking part in a
general hunger strike in the city of Kirkuk to demand
the release of their relatives being held by the
American occupation forces. About 65 people, most of
them women, on Sunday began a hunger strike in front
of the Iraqi Institute for Human Rights in Kirkuk to
demand the release of 1,500 individuals whom the
American occupation authorities have held since they
occupied the country in April.

According to the Jordanian newspaper al-Arab al-Yawm,
personnel of the Iraqi puppet police are beginning to
question their role in occupied Iraq in a situation in
which they are targets for the Iraqi Resistance.

A puppet police Lieutenant al-Qaysi, working in the
ad-Durah puppet police station in Baghdad which was
the target for a Resistance operation at the end of
October that left 35 people dead, said "I feel afraid
every day when I come to work." The walls of the
building in which Lieutenant al-Qaysi works are still
splattered with the bloodstains of those who were
wounded and died in October, and he and his colleagues
must enter the building over a rough path laid down
over the crater left by the Resistance bomb. Birds
have come to nest in the badly damaged building.

The puppet police force has a crucial role to play in
the American occupation's scheme for Iraq as the
invaders hope to reduce their military presence in the
country and hand over many of their tasks of
repressing the populace to local agents. But the
Iraqi puppet police are finding that this "crucial
role" is fraught with deadly dangers.

Puppet police Lieutenant 'Ammar Salman said that the
Iraqi police had little to do before the fall of the
Saddam Hussein regime, "but now when we are doing
something they blow us up and assassinate us."

To try to prop up plummeting morale, US Proconsul L.
Paul Bremer promised a "danger bonus" to all puppet
policemen who have become a favorite target of the
Iraqi Resistance.

Nevertheless recent weeks have seen a rising wave of
resignations from the puppet security forces, with
about 300 men resigning from the first brigade of the
new puppet Iraqi Army, before even finishing their
training and deployment.

Meanwhile, Polish President Alexander Kwaszniewski who
visited Polish troops fighting for the Americans in
occupied Iraq said on Tuesday that the multinational
occupation forces which are operating under Polish
command could possibly begin a "gradual withdrawal"
beginning in the year 2005.

Special Report: Ahmad Chelebi proposed partition of
Iraq in meeting with Bush.

Ahmad Sabri, the Baghdad correspondent for the
Jordanian daily al-Arab al-Yawm, writes as follows in
the Wednesday, 24 December 2003 edition of the paper:

A source in contact with the Iraqi Governing Council
has disclosed details of the meeting that the American
President George Bush had during his secret visit to
Iraq with a number of members of the Iraqi Governing
Council, in particular as concerns the outlines for
the new Iraqi entity. The source, who preferred to
remain anonymous told "al-Arab al-Yawm" that one of
the leaders of the Iraqi parties represented in the
Iraqi Governing Council who was among the group of
people who met Bush proposed the partition of Iraq
into four formations, on the basis of Iraqi society's
national and religious situation, in the framework of
a new federal arrangement.

The source explained that the new Iraq, according to
that proposal would be made up of a Shiite entity
embracing the southern provinces and a Sunni entity
that would include a part of Baghdad and the provinces
of the west of Iraq. The Kurds were to have an entity
made up of the northern provinces. Baghdad itself,
according to the proposal, would become a greater
capital with a special status in which all elements in
Iraqi society would have a share.

Although the source would not disclose what Bush's
response to the proposal was, he did say that the
American President promised to study the proposal.
The source also disclosed that the name of the man who
proposed the partition of Iraq was Ahmad Chelebi,
chief of the so-called Iraqi National Congress.

It will be remembered that this matter is on the minds
of sectors of Iraqi public opinion and has impelled
six Iraqi political parties to form a preparatory
council to work out a proposal for the formation of a
broad national front to respond to the needs of the
new stage.

"Al-Arab al-Yawm" has learned that the parties
referred to above are:

1. The Arab National Current, represented by
2. The Arab Socialist Movement,
3. The Kurdistan Democratic Party,
4. The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan,
5. The Democratic Bloc of Independents, led by 'Adnan
6. The Democratic Patriotic Party, led by Nasir

The formation of the nucleus of this front comes just
days after the Kurdish coalition in the Governing
Council proposed a draft of the Law of Confederation
outlining the Kurdish vision for the new Iraq. The
Kurdish area, according to that draft, is to include
the provinces of Irbil, as-Sulaymaniyah, Dahuk,
Kirkuk, and parts of the provinces of Diyala and

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
Jordan, Wednesday, 24 December 2003.

Wednesday, 24 December 2003.

The Iraqi Resistance detonated a roadside bomb in the
Samarra' area north of Baghdad on Wednesday, killing
three American occupation soldiers and totally
destroying their vehicle, the US military occupation
said. "Three Task Force Ironhorse soldiers were
killed when the vehicle they were in was struck by an
improvised explosive device," the US military said in
a statement. The attack occurred at about 9am as the
soldiers traveled in a convoy near Samarra'.

Explosions rocked Baghdad and automatic gunfire could
be heard in southern parts of the occupied Iraqi
capital city early on Wednesday. US occupation forces
told al-Jazeera satellite TV that the noises came from
an operation being carried out by the American
invaders against armed Resistance fighters who were
taking up positions to shell the so-called Green Zone
where the occupation forces' headquarters is located.

Eye witnesses reported that US occupation fighter
planes took part in bombing targeted areas in the
environs of the area of ad-Durah. This attack is said
to be a part of an operation by the aggressor forces
known as Operation Iron Justice which is being carried
out by the 1st Armored Division which is based in
occupied Baghdad.

The explosions, which sounded like artillery fire,
according to a report by the Agence France Presse
(AFP), began about 00:30 am (2130 GMT) and carried on
for about 20 minutes, laced with bursts of automatic
weapons fire near the southern suburb of al-Durah.
Aircraft buzzed overhead.

Harith al-'Urs who owns an ironworks said that the
bombardment was focused on the al-Buwaytah
agricultural area, and commented "there was gunfire on
the Americans and they responded."

The US military occupation had just canceled an
invitation for media to observe artillery fire
Wednesday on positions from where they believed the
Iraqi Resistance was shelling occupation forces in
Baghdad. Later the US military occupation announced
that US helicopter gunships backed an artillery
bombardment aimed at the Iraqi Resistance in southwest
Baghdad, as troops raided homes and arrested a Sunni
tribal leader.

It was the second straight night during which
thunderous explosions and an aerial bombardment of the
ad-Durah area in Baghdad was carried on. Eyewitnesses
said that what was going on was a "real war" with the
American occupation forces using various types of
weaponry, including aircraft and artillery, while the
Resistance put up a tough and resilient fight.
Intense explosions were heard without letup for three
hours, witnesses reported. The occupation, as is
usual for them, disclosed not losses in dead or
wounded in the engagements. The sound of explosions
dissipated by morning on Wednesday, having begun to
reverberate throughout the entire city of five million
shortly before midnight.

In northern Iraq, a martyrdom bomber of the Iraqi
Resistance detonated an explosives-laden pick-up truck
outside the office of the Kurdish chauvinist so-called
"Interior Ministry" in Irbil, near Kirkuk, and four
people, including the martyred driver, were killed and
some 101 others injured, according to the so-called
"ministry," which said that the attack occurred at
about 11:50am local time on Wednesday. In addition to
the martyred driver the dead included two puppet
policemen and a man described as a "civilian."
Employees of the puppet "ministry" working for the
occupation were among the wounded.

The force of the blast blew out windows in buildings
surrounding the offices of the puppet "ministry" in
the northern city, which, according to the Agence
France Presse (AFP), is controlled by a Kurdish
chauvinist faction, the Kurdistan Democratic Party,
which is collaborating with the US occupation of Iraq.
The blast left a huge crater.

Wednesday evening the Resistance fired a mortar shell
at the Sheraton Hotel in Baghdad, a residence of many
foreigners working with the occupation authorities.
The occupation did not report any casualties or

Meanwhile the body of an American soldier who drowned
in the Tigris River when he tried to save one of his
companions was recovered on Wednesday, 13 days after
his death. The body was found after what a US
communique described as an intense search in which
military police, and American air and naval forces
took part.

Two puppet policemen helping the occupation and two
civilians were killed in a bomb explosion west of

An adviser to the puppet "minister of science and
technology" Khidr 'Abd al-'Abbas Hamzah survived an
attempt by the Iraqi Resistance to execute him in
Baghdad. An explosive device blew up under the
armored vehicle he uses for riding about in the
occupied Iraqi capital.

One Iraqi puppet policeman who was on a joint patrol
with occupation forces was killed in the al-Jaza'ir
neighborhood in the center of Mosul when the Iraqi
Resistance opened fire on them. Forensic medical
doctor Ahmad 'Abdallah Rajab said that the puppet
policeman "died instantly as he was struck by four
bullets in the head."

The Mosul puppet police headquarters was also attacked
but there was no report of casualties in that

On Wednesday, a minibus detonated a roadside bomb in a
Baghdad traffic tunnel, killing one civilian and
wounding two others, according to the Iraqi puppet
police. The bomb exploded in the Shurta tunnel around
noon. Puppet police commissioner Murtada Sattar said
that the "explosive device detonated after an Iraqi
police car passed through the entrance to a tunnel in
the ad-Dawudi district, damaging a minibus and a
private car."

Baghdad paid its last respects on Wednesday to four
Sunni worshippers, one of them a child, who were shot
to death and martyred Wednesday at dawn as they left
the gate of a Sunni mosque in the predominantly Shiite
Washshash neighborhood. Shaykh 'Abd as-Salam
al-Kubaysi, a member of the Sunni Board of Muslim
'Ulama' said that the gunmen who killed the four "were
driving a car from which they opened fire at the four
persons, killing them." Al-Kubaysi said that this
attack was part of a series of incidents designed to
spark a sectarian war and blamed "an ouside power",
evidently implying Iran, for the attacks. Al-Kubaysi
said, however, that "the Sunnis in Iraq are aware of
this danger and will not be drawn into it."

In Kirkuk on Wednesday students and puppet security
sources said that two Arab students were injured in
the city in clashes with puppet police who were trying
to prevent Arab and Turcoman demonstrations. The
clashes erupted, the sources said, when hundreds of
Arab and Turcoman students attempted to leave the
University campus to demonstrate in front of the
headquarters of the Governorate. Despite the efforts
of the puppet police, some 500 students forced their
way ahead and gathered in front of the Governorate
building where they waved Iraqi flags.

Muhammad YaSin Isma'il, a student in the College of
Technology and a leader of the students said "two
students – Ahmad Yusuf and Tareq 'Aziz Hitlawi – were
seriously injured in clashes" for which he blamed
"Kurdish members of the Iraqi police." Officer in the
puppet police Salah 'Ali confirmed the fact that the
students were injured.

US occupation forces continued their wave of raids and
arrests capturing more than 70 Iraqis in recent days
in attacks in Mosul, Baaqubah, al-Fallujah, and the
environs of Baghdad and Kirkuk.

US aggressor forces arrested Shaykh Ghazi Hanash, the
shaykh of the at-Tayy tribe in Mosul who is related to
Iraqi Vice President 'Izzat Ibrahim ad-Duri. American
aggressor sources say that they killed one of the
shaykh's bodyguards and wounded Hanash's daughter in
the course of their raid. The AFP said that Hanash's
home was marked by bullet holes and broken glass after
the attack.

Shaykh Hanash's son and two aides were also arrested
by the American occupation troops in the raid,
according to Ghassan Hamadi, a cousin of the shaykh
who spoke to the Associated Press from the tribal
leader's residence. AFP reported that three of the
shaykh's sons were detained by the US occupation
forces. Occupation forces also captured a man whom
they describe as a high ranking Iraqi intelligence
officer by the name of 'Abd Allah Jasem Ahmad.

US occupation troops arrested 26 Iraqis in
al-Fallujah, including officers in the Iraqi Army.

In Kirkuk the occupation forces assisted by Iraqi
puppet police arrested 16 Iraqis whom they accuse of
involvement in carrying out attacks against the
Americans in the city. They also arrested 20 members
of a small Kurdish Islamist group known as al-Jama'ah
al-Islamiyah which the Americans claim has links to
Ansar al-Islam, a Kurdish Islamist organization
frequently said to be associated with al-Qa'idah and
involved in the Resistance.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
Jordan, Thursday, 25 December 2003.