Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 25 December 2003
through Sunday, 28 December 2003. Translated and/or
compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member of the editorial
board of the Free Arab Voice.

Thursday, 25 December 2003.

On Thursday, US military sources acknowledged that one
US occupation soldier was killed on Wednesday evening
in an explosion of a roadside bomb in Baghdad.

On Thursday evening the Iraqi Resistance shelled a
base northeast of Baghdad, killing two US occupation
soldiers and wounding four, the US military said

The Iraqi Resistance fired mortars that hit the base
around 6:15 p.m. on Thursday, Major Josslyn Aberle of
the 4th Infantry Division said. Two soldiers were
evacuated for medical care but died of their wounds,
she said. The four others did not have
life-threatening injuries. Baaqoubah is 30 miles
northeast of Baghdad.

In addition to what the US spokesmen admitted to be
combat deaths, one US soldier was admitted to have
died on Thursday as well, this one in Kirkuk in what
the occupation authorities said was the result of an
electric shock. The soldier was reportedly doing
repair work on a communications tower in Kirkuk.

Two soldiers from Poland, which has about 2,400 troops
in Iraq serving the American occupation, were wounded
Thursday when the Iraqi Resistance struck their convoy
with a remote-controlled mine, Colonel Zdzislaw
Gnatowski told the Polish news agency PAP. The attack
occurred near Mahawil, about 80km south of Baghdad.

The day on Thursday was marked by a series of Iraqi
Resistance attacks on imperialist and associated
installations in Baghdad, preventing the American
occupation troops from enjoying their Christmas.

The Associated Press reported that the Resistance
fired at least 12 grenades, rockets, and mortar shells
at various targets in the Iraqi capital. One woman
sleeping in a room near one of the targeted hotels was
injured. The Jordanian daily al-Arab al-Yawm reported
that "dozens" of grenades, missiles, and mortar shells
were fired during the day by the Iraqi Resistance

Then, shortly before midnight on Thursday,
eyewitnesses reported hearing warning sirens again
coming from the so-called Green Zone US occupation
headquarters after three mortar shells landed there. A
US military occupation spokesman claimed only that two
rockets hit a car park near the headquarters, but that
there were no casualties. Troops in an aircraft
located the launch point and soldiers on the ground
captured five Iraqi men in the area whom they accuse
of firing those rockets, Captain Jason Beck said

An American spokesman announced that eight American
occupation troops had been injured when a barrage of
missiles struck their headquarters near al-Fallujah.

The Iraqi Resistance fired at least four mortar shells
at the American military occupation headquarters in
Baghdad on Thursday morning, according to an American
officer. The officer acknowledged that the mortar
rounds landed on the American headquarters, and not
"in the vicinity" of the headquarters as an American
military spokeswoman had earlier claimed.

The officer, who wanted to remain anonymous, was
quoted by al-Jazeera as saying that four mortar rounds
landed inside the large so-called Green Zone, which is
surrounded by barbed wire entanglements and is subject
to intense security. The Green Zone encompasses the
occupation authority, a number of administrative
departments, and the headquarters of the puppet
so-called Interim Governing Council.

Eyewitnesses reported that more than 10 explosions
shook central Baghdad and lasted for some time. They
added that one missile landed near the interior

Iraqi puppet police on Thursday cordoned off an area
of the al-Waziriyah district adjacent to the Turkish
Embassy building in Baghdad in order to disarm a bomb
that had been planted there some 200 meters from the

In all the Iraqi puppet police said that four puppet
policemen collaborating with the occupation had been
wounded in the missile attacks that swept the Iraqi
capital on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the German Embassy building in Baghdad was
struck by a shell on Thursday morning causing material
damage but no reported injuries.

On Wednesday the Iranian Embassy was also the target
of a missile but no damage or injuries were reported
in that attack. An officer in the Iraqi puppet police
said that a number of missiles were aimed at the
Iranian embassy,which is located near the headquarters
of the American occupation command.

These attacks on Embassies followed a total of six
Iraqi Resistance mortar strikes early on Thursday
morning that targeted US military occupation command
as well as the Sheraton Hotel and other sites in
downtown Baghdad.

On Thursday a rocket fired by the Iraqi Resistance
forces shattered windows on a Baghdad hotel filled
with Western contractors and journalists. The attack
on the Ishtar Sheraton Hotel around dawn Thursday came
just hours after the Iraqi Resistance struck the same
hotel with a mortar shell. There were no reports of
injury in either attack.

At the same time Thursday, another explosion and
gunfire resounded in the city, setting off sirens that
wailed for several minutes. US occupation soldiers
trained their guns on the street outside the hotel.
But military officials said they had no immediate
details on the violence. "We just heard a loud boom
and everybody woke up," said a hotel desk clerk, who
wasn't further identified.

The American occupation army and workers in the
Sheraton reported that one missile hit the hotel. An
American officer said that the attackers left leaflets
calling on the employees of the hotel to quit. The
leaflets told American forces to leave the country and
Iraqi police to stop working with the US occupation.

Another missile hit the Hyatt Tower, which the
American invaders also use and in which the
international weapons inspectors used to stay prior to
the American occupation.

The Resistance also struck Baghdad's ar-Rasheed and
ar-Rafidayn banks, blowing holes in the buildings, a
puppet police officer said. No money was stolen.

One rocket hit the Baghdad City Council building,
shattering windows. Another unexploded rocket lodged
in a nearby street, according to occupation security
forces who sealed off the road with a US tank.

Also in Baghdad, a source in the Iraqi puppet police
reported that a bomb on Palestine Street in the center
of the city tore off the hand of an Iraqi puppet
policeman and wounded two others seriously. Another
bomb was also discovered on the same street.

In the mortar attack late on Wednesday night, the 60mm
direct-lay mortar shell hit a barrier, or outer wall,
on the heavily barricaded 19-story hotel, which rises
from the east bank of the Tigris River, said Captain
Jason Beck of the US Army's 1st Armored Division.
Beck told The Associated Press that Iraqi security
guarding the hotel immediately fired at the Resistance
fighters, but the later escaped apparently unscathed.
Late Wednesday and early Thursday, distant explosions
were heard in central Baghdad as the US military
occupation forces bombarded suspected positions of the
Resistance forces.

An officer in the puppet police announced that one
member and one officer in the so-called Iraqi Civil
Defense Force that serves the American occupation were
wounded on Thursday morning in the area of Baaqubah
when Iraqi Resistance fighters opened fire on them
from a speeding car.

Puppet police Brigadier General Khaled Muhammad 'Abbud
said that Lieutenant Na'im Ijbari of the puppet
so-called Civil Defense was struck by several bullets
in the abdomen and that his condition is critical. He
was taken to a Baghdad hospital. He said that Haydar
'Abd al-Kazem who was with the Lieutenant was struck
in the right hand by a bullet as well, in addition to
suffering from injuries caused by flying shards of

The rising battle in the streets of the Iraqi capital
led all the Christian churches to cancel midnight
Christmas services for the first time. Afternoon
services were to be held instead. Churches have never
been targeted by attacks, al-Jazeera TV noted in its

That incident occurred at 8:00am in Khan Bani Sa'd, a
location between Baghdad and Baaqubah.

Occupation forces announced that six more persons had
been arrested late on Wednesday on suspicion of being
in contact with Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.
Comandant John Frisbee of the US 1st Armored Division
reported this, despite the fact that the Americans
announced the capture and imprisonment of the Iraqi
President on 13 December. Firsbee said that all those
arrested were Baath Party members and were suspected
of funding resistance operations or preparing
explosive devices.

In Mosul in northern Iraq, occupation forces arrested
two major tribal shaykhs, Saddam an-Nu'aymi, a shaykh
of an-Nu'aym and Nawwaf Jallud Agha, the general
shaykh of the al-Jarjarah tribes, who is a relative of
shaykh Ghazi Hanash of Tayy who was arrested together
with three of his sons in a violent American raid the
day before.

In Baghdad Sunni religious leaders, concerned over
rising attacks on Sunni mosques and worshippers and
over the threat of sectarian violence that many blame
on the occupation authorities, gathered in the Umm
al-Qura mosque to hold the founding meeting of a
Majlis Shura or Consultative Council for the Sunni
community and to elect a chairman of the Council. The
meeting brings together all Sunni currents in Iraq,
including the Salafis, Sufis, and Muslim Brotherhood
(the head of which organization has a place in the
US-appointed so-called Interim Governing Council), in
addition to Islamic political parties, associations
for Islamic law, and bodies involved in Islamic legal
consultation (ifta'). Those at the meeting hope that
the organization will be representative of the Sunni
community in Iraq and be in a position to defend their
interests and establish their political role in
defining the future of Iraq.

At the end of the first session the Muslim
Brotherhood, Sufis, and Salafis each had a place on
the council with 15 delegates each, with three each to
other parties, while social welfare organizations and
Sunni civil groups obtained one seat each.

Attourney Muhammad Ahmad ar-Rashed of the Muslim
Brotherhood told a press conference, which was also
attended by Shaykh Mahdi as-Samid'i representing the
Salafi groups and Shaykh Jamal ad-Dabban representing
the Sufis, that the Council was still in its formative
stage but that it is to be constitute a single
political and intellectual bloc. He stressed that the
Council includes representatives of the Kurds,
Turcomans, and Sunnis from the south of the country.

Ar-Rashed told that the Council would
include all Sunni groups that currently exist and
would represent them. Council member Fakhri al-Qaysi,
for his part, said that the political resolutions to
be passed by the Council would be regarded as binding
on the Sunnis of Iraq.


Friday, 26 December 2003.

Iraqi Resistance forces attacked a US occupation
convoy, killing one American soldier and wounding
another near Baaqubah on Friday according to Captain
Jefferson Wolfe of the US army's 4th Infantry
Division. The vehicle they were riding in was also
destroyed. Wolf claimed that the US forces returned
fire at the Resistance fighters and killed two of
them. It should be noted that the standard practice
of the American occupation forces is to open fire
indiscriminately in all directions after an attack.
They then are wont to claim that any victims who
happen to be felled by their bullets were among the

In a separate incident in the same area, an American
invader soldier tried to defuse a homemade bomb left
by the Iraqi Resistance, but it blew up and killed
him, serving its purpose despite its being discovered
by the occupation forces.

On Saturday, a US military spokesman acknowledged that
one American had been killed Friday in Baghdad in what
he described as a "traffic accident."

An Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb exploded as an
American occupation troop convoy passed near Balad,
north of Baghdad, on Friday. One US soldier was
killed in that attack, according to a spokesman for
the US aggressors who met the press in Baghdad.

In Mosul the Iraqi Resistance ambushed a US occupation
convoy with small arms. The Resistance wounded three
soldiers from the US army's 101st Airborne Division,
said Major Trey Cate, the division spokesman. The
soldiers, who were searching the city's streets for
bombs, returned fire but did not catch their
attackers, Cate said. Witnesses said that an Iraqi
taxi driver was killed in the firefight, but the
American spokesman "could not confirm" the report.

Citizens of Baghdad again endured wartime conditions
as the thud of explosions and the buzz of military
airplanes and helicopters filled the air. There were
clashes and firefights in several neighborhoods of the
Iraqi capital. US occupation forces carried out
violent raids and pursuits as they spread out in large
numbers in Baghdad under the cover of their tanks.

As a result of the wartime conditions, the hours of
blackout when no electricity is available have been
extended. Little fuel is available as winter
temperatures fall ever lower. Night times are
punctuated by the sounds of aircraft on bombing
missions in and around the capital, as explosions and
gunfire resound. For the third day running Baghdadis
are enduring this sort of restless night. According
to a poll taken by the Jordanian daily al-Arab
al-Yawm, most districts of Baghad are experiencing the
same conditions, the conditions of a city once again
at war.

According to al-Arab al-Yawm's survey, glass in
hundreds of houses has been broken from explosions in
these few days, and their walls have been shaken by
powerful shocks from gunfire, shelling and bombing.
Most respondents to the survey said they are not able
to sleep due to the explosions and noise from low
flying aircraft. Others complain of nervous tension
and mental problems due to the pressure of enduring a
constant life-threatening situation.

Friday, Iraqi Resistance fighters in Mosul executed a
Sunni Muslim tribal leader who was collaborating with
the US occupation of his country. Resistance forces
have targeted Iraqi puppet police and other official
stooges cooperating with the US occupation.

Also Friday, three Resistance fighters opened fire on
a puppet police station in ar-Ramadi, some 60 miles
west of Baghdad. One officer was reported killed and
one of the Resistance fighters died a martyr an
ensuing gunfight, puppet police Colonel Ziyad Khalil
said. The other Resistance fighters slipped away.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
Jordan, Saturday, 27 December 2003, and al-Arab
al-Yawm for Sunday, 28 December 2003.

Saturday, 27 December 2003.

Iraqi Resistance forces killed one American occupation
soldier and wounded another in a roadside bomb attack
on a passing US military convoy north of Baghdad.

In a separate incident, five American occupation
soldiers were wounded in a double bombing attack in
the Iraqi capital Baghdad on Saturday. One explosive
devices detonated under an American patrol in the
ar-Rusafah neighborhood of the Iraqi capital. A
second bomb went off in the same area when additional
American occupation soldiers arrived at the scene of
the first attack.

The Associated Press reported that the Iraqi
Resistance also set a fuel depot ablaze.

But it was the southern city of Karbala' that suddenly
burst into international headlines on Saturday when
the relatively quiet city became a battle ground in
the Iraqi struggle for liberation. Repeated
explosions, Resistance attacks, and gunbattles shook
the streets of the predominantly Shiite city. The
Iraq correspondent of the Jordanian daily al-Arab
al-Yawm, Ahmad Sabri, walked the streets of Karbala'
which was placed under curfew by the occupation forces
as they fought desperately to repress the outburst of
the liberation struggle in a hither to relatively
quiet part of the occupied country.

Sabri noted that the city appeared empty as local
people remained indoors, anticipating a new wave of
fighting. The floods of Iranians, who ostensibly fill
the city as religious "pilgrims" much of the time were
also absent, as the streets hosted only patrols by
occupation forces and puppet police, in addition to
the ambulances whose sirens punctuated the tense

Earlier in the day the city was shaken by four large
explosions that targeted the headquarters of the
so-called multinational occupation forces which is set
up in Karbala' University, and the building of the
local puppet "government." The Iraqi Resistance,
armed with car bombs, mortars, and machine guns
launched three coordinated attacks in the southern
Iraqi city of Karbala' on Saturday leaving 13 dead,
including six occupation soldiers and six puppet
policemen, according to invader military and hospital

Four of the dead occupation soldiers were Bulgarians.
Two others were from Thailand.
One person described as an Iraqi civilian also died.
In all 172 occupation troops and puppet police
wounded. Five Americans were among the wounded troops
as were 19 Bulgarians, according to US Brigadier
General Mark Kimmitt who gave the figure of five
American wounded early in the day when the total
number of wounded occupation troops was listed as only
37. 'Ali al-Arzawi, deputy head of Karbala' General
Hospital, said that 135 puppet policemen and other
Iraqis were wounded.

A Thailand government spokesman in Bangkok, Jakrapob
Penkair, said he received reports that two Thai
soldiers were killed by a car bomb in the course of
the Karbala' Offensive. A senior Thai army official
told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity
that the two were on guard duty at a military base
checkpoint when the Iraqi Resistance car rammed into
the camp's wall.

Bulgaria's deputy defense minister, Ilko Dimitrov,
said four Bulgarian soldiers were killed and 27 were
wounded when a car bomb exploded at one of the
Bulgarian camps. The 485 Bulgarian troops in the area
were being evacuated because their bases had been
destroyed, and the defense ministry had lost
communication with them, he said. The headquarters was
also destroyed.

Ahmad Sabri of al-Arab al-Yawm wrote that "extensive
damage" had been done to the targets of the Resistance
attacks leaving a state of tension and fear in the
city. Sabri said that the hospitals were bursting
with wounded and that calls for urgent blood donation
were going out from loudspeakers on minarets of

Eyewitnesses said that the Iraqi Resistance forces
were concentrated in two strike groups. The first
used two explosives-laden cars, broke through
roadblock barriers and assaulted the headquarters of
the so-called multinational forces in Karbala' and the
building of the Governorate. The second Resistance
strike group, made up of four fighters set off on
motorcycles to attack the headquarters of the American
occupation forces and the University of Karbala' both
of which they subjected to a torrent of rocket fire.

Eyewitnesses described bloody battles that raged for
an hour between the Resistance fighters on the
offensive against these targets, and the occupation
forces that were defending their positions.

Sources that have widely different political views
agree that Saturday's Karbala' Offensive was an
important new twist in the daily Resistance struggle
for the liberation of Iraq. Hither to attacks had
been concentrated in the center and west of the
country in areas that usually have larger Sunni
populations. Observers note that the Karbala'
Offensive demonstrates a qualitative development in
the tactics employed by the Resistance, and that it
sends a clear message to the American occupation
forces that the freedom fighters are able to strke any
place in the country

"It was a coordinated, massive attack planned for a
big scale and intended to do much harm," said Major
General Andrzej Tyszkiewicz, head of the Polish-led
multinational force that is serving the American
occupation by maintaining repressing resistance around
Karbala'. Tyszkiewicz spoke to Polish television from
his headquarters at Camp Babylon. The car bombers
were shot before they could enter the military bases,
he claimed. Colonel Mariusz Michalski, another
occupation spokesman, told the Polish news agency PAP
that two soldiers died at the Bulgarian camp. He did
not confirm their nationalities.

Bulgarian soldiers, who are in Iraq serving the
American occupation, were being evacuated from their
two bases in Karbala' because it was destroyed. Deputy
Defense Minister Ilko Dimitrov told Bulgarian state
television that 15 soldiers were wounded slightly.

Colonel Adam Stasinski, a spokesman for the Polish
Defense Ministry in Warsaw, Poland, claimed that some
projectiles fired at the Bulgarian base hit a nearby
university instead, injuring some people. Stasinski
said a logistics base where soldiers of different
nationalities serve also was targeted. No Poles were
killed, he said.

Iraqi witnesses said a water truck contained one of
the bombs, and that occupation soldiers sprayed it
with gunfire as it drove toward a military base beside
the university and exploded. Casualties were removed
in stretchers, and soldiers fired in the air to
disperse the crowds.

"We are aware of five US wounded in action, and three
of those soldiers were in local facilities, while two
were evacuated to a U.S. combat support hospital,"
Kimmitt said in Baghdad.

One Iraqi Resistance car bomb detonated in front of
the main puppet police station in Karbala', wounding
five soldiers from the US army's 18th Military Police
Brigade and a number of puppet police, said Lieutenant
Colonel Tom Evans, deputy commander of the brigade.
None of the American injuries was life-threatening,
and two men were detained in connection with the
bombing, Evans claimed.

"There were different types of attacks at different
places," said US occupation Major Ralph Manos, a
spokesman for the multinational force. The attackers
targeted two military occupation camps at the city's
university and at a police station, as well as the
mayor's office.

Witnesses said smoke and fire rose from the mayor's
office after a mortar attack. They reported a car bomb
at the university.

Elsewhere in Iraq, an American sergeant, who had just
arrived as a reinforcement, described in Mosul how
four Iraqi Resistance fighters fired a rocket at an
American military patrol in the city Saturday morning
before dying as martyrs when the aggressor troops
pursued the Resistance fighters and killed them.
Sergeant Elwin Nobel said that the attackers escaped
after firing the rocket that he said caused no
casualties or damage. In their escape, however, their
car crashed into a truck that crossed their path,
forcing them to halt. At that point the pursuing
American invaders caught up with the Resistance
fighters and fired a rocket at the car, which burst
into flame, martyring the four passengers.

Also in Mosul, an Iraqi lawyer working on a project
funded by the US occupation was executed by the Iraqi
Resistance on Saturday. 'Adil Hadidi was shot dead as
he walked out of his house, according to a neighbor,
Firas Kamal.

Meanwhile it is reported that the first detachment of
Japanese soldiers headed for occupation duty in Iraq
arrived on Saturday in Kuwait, in preparation for the
next leg of their journey into occupied Iraq, where
they will be just in time to line up behind Saturday's
"multinational" dead in Karbala'. The military
mission of the Japanese airmen in service to the
American occupation was thinly disguised as
"humanitarian", by the civilian clothes that they
wore. In another attempt to reduce the impact of the
Japanese military arrival, another detachment of
Japanese soldiers was routed to the American regional
headquarters in Qatar. These first contingents are to
prepare for the arrival of other forces, according to
a Japanese embassy spokesman in Qatar. In all, up to
150 Japanese are expected to join the American effort
to repress the freedom of the Iraqi people, the first
time Japanese troops have deployed to a war zone since
the days of militarist Japanese aggression when they
formed part of the Nazi-led coalition of fascist
forces in World War II.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
Jordan, Sunday, 28 December 2003.

Sunday, 28 December 2003.

An Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb in Baghdad on Sunday
killed one US occupation soldier and wounded five
other American occupation troops and their Iraqi
interpreter as well as eight members of the puppet
so-called Iraqi civil defense corps, said US army
Sergeant Patrick Compton of the US army's 1st Armored
Division. Compton claimed that the explosion also
killed two children. A later report quoted a figure
of 16 wounded in the attack. The vehicle in which the
Americans were riding was also destroyed. All the US
occupation troop casualties were from the American
army's 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, which were on
patrol in the eastern Baghdad neighborhood of Karradat
Maryam. "It was a bad one," Compton said. "It's a
real densely populated area of town."

In a separate incident in al-Fallujah, an Iraqi
Resistance bomb exploded under an American military
column, killing one American soldier and wounding
three others, in addition to destroying the vehicle in
which they were riding.

In Irbil in northern Iraq a collaborator with the
occupation, the assistant so-called "public security
director" of the province, Major General Jawamir
'Atiyah Kaki, escaped an attempted execution in which
three of his guards were injured. Kaki was emerging
from his house in the Runaki neighborhood of Irbil on
his way to work at the puppet interior ministry when
Iraqi Resistance fighters opened fire on him with
machine guns.

In addition the occupation admitted that a total of 19
persons had been killed in the Karbala' Offensive on
Saturday 27 December, after the Bulgarian Defense
Ministry reported the death of a fifth Bulgarian.
Bulgaria has a contingent of troops serving the US
occupation of Iraq where the deaths of Bulgarians and
other satellite country soldiers help insulate the
United States from the cost of its occupation and
repression of Iraq.

Meanwhile, an official of the puppet so-called health
ministry announced that five Iraqis who had been
injured in the Karbala' Offensive on Saturday had died
from wounds they received, bringing the total number
of dead Iraqis to 12, according to the puppet
official, Sa'd an-Nasrawi.

Estimates of the number of wounded in the Karbala'
Offensive run between the figure of 160 cited by the
deputy director of the al-Husayn Hospital, (the only
hospital in Karbala') and 202, a figure cited by the
media previously.

The Polish command, which oversees the so-called
"multinational contingent" working for the American
occupation, has abandoned its base in al-Ibrahimiyah
area in the north of Karbala' after the Saturday
Offensive. Al-Jazeera TV's correspondent in the city
reported that US helicopters helped the Poles evacuate
their base, as angry Iraqis went in to take possession
of what remained.

Tight security measures were imposed on the southern
Iraqi city of Karbala' after the Saturday Offensive,
and the city remains under a nighttime curfew.

Meanwhile pressure is building in American satellite
countries around the world to withdraw their troops
from Iraq where they are under threat of death for the
sake of the US occupation. A prominent Thai
opposition figure called on the government in Bangkok
to review its policies and withdraw Thai forces from
occupied Iraq after two Thai soldiers were killed on
Saturday. Senator Kraisak Choonhavan, who heads the
parliamentary foreign affairs committee told Thai
radio: "We think we must pass again our concern to the
government asking whether it is time to pull our
troops out. It is time to review that decision." The
commitment of Thai troops to the American repressive
effort was criticized by some 65 of 200 senators,
including Kraisak, and the contingent was eventually
halved from an original plan of 886 troops over budget
concerns. Kraisak said the occupation was not helping

Despite the growing pressure from the Thai people, the
Thai Prime Minister, after receiving a message from US
President Bush, promised not only that the 433-man
Thai occupation force would continue to serve the
Americans in Iraq, but that in March 2004 another Thai
contingent would be sent in.

In Baaqubah the US occupation forces carried out
another night time wave of attacks, raids, searches,
and arrests. As a part of Washington's effort to
teach Arabs the meaning of freedom of speech, ten
Iraqis were taken prisoner on the grounds that they
were suspected of participating in a demonstration in
support of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein on 13
December 2003.

Meanwhile one member of the puppet American-appointed
so-called Interim Governing Council, Iyyad 'Alawi,
criticized the American occupation's practice of
rooting out all Baath Party members from Iraqi public
institutions. 'Alawi said that rooting out Baathists
"encourages corruption and patronage and prevents a
return to a normal political and economic life in the
country as well as national reconciliation."

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
Jordan, Monday, 29 December 2003.