Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 15 January 2004

through Saturday, 17 January 2004.  Translated and/or

compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial

board, the Free Arab Voice.

Thursday, 15 January 2004.

The Anglo-American occupation of Iraq was not able to

hide the major attacks launched on Thursday by the

Iraqi Resistance against them, but they were able, as

usual, due to their control of the main sources of

information on the ground to hide the results of those

operations in an effort to make light of them,

pretending that they were failed or fruitless attacks.


On Thursday, Iraqi Resistance fighters directly

attacked a base of the American military occupation in

Kirkuk with Katyusha rockets.  Two Katyushas landed

with thunderous explosions inside the base, in an

assault that was heard over a large area.  Afterward,

occupation forces raced about going on an elevated

state of alert, deploying tanks and military vehicles

around all major buildings in the area.  The extent of

material and human losses caused by the rocket attack,

however, was not disclosed.  Turhan Yusuf, puppet

police commander in Kirkuk, said that on Thursday

morning two Katyusha rockets struck the main

headquarters of the American occupation forces in the

city.  At precisely 6:10am local time, the two

Katyushas hit Kirkuk airport, 5km west of the city

itself.  The US occupation forces have turned the

occupied airport into their local headquarters.


Yusuf said that he had no information as to whether

the rockets had caused any damage or casualties among

the American invaders.  The Agence France Presse (AFP)

on the scene said that tighter security was imposed in

the city after the attack and that sirens wailed in

the early morning hours.


In the southern Iraqi city of Karbala', the Iraqi

Resistance attacked a security center with

rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) causing direct damage

during the night of Wednesday to Thursday.  Yet a

spokesman for the Iraqi puppet police that was hired

by the American occupation forces denied that there

were any casualties.  Rahman Mashawi, the press

officer for the puppet regime in the province of

Karbala', spoke to the AFP and said that two RPGs

struck the police station of Nahiyat al-Harr, 5km

north of Karbala' at about 10:00pm local time on

Wednesday, but denied that there were any casualties.

He said that the first rocket hit the outer wall

surrounding the building and the second fell in the

garden of a residence next to the station but that

neither caused any human losses.  Mashawi said that

puppet police patrols tried in vain to arrest the

Resistance fighters who attacked them, but the

fighters eluded their grasp, having left behind a car

which the puppet police confiscated.


Thursday, a plane carrying Georgian Defense Minister

David Tevzadze came under fire as it took off from

Baghdad's occupied airport to return to Georgia. No

one was reported injured.


Tevzadze spent two days in Iraq with the former Soviet

republic's 70-member peacekeeping contingent that is

serving the United States as cannon fodder.  The new

government that recently forced its way to power

with US backing in the Caucasian republic of Georgia

is more subservient to Washington even than was the

previous regime of Eduard Shevardnadze.


The head of the Georgian National Guard, Koba

Kobaladze, who was aboard the target aircraft, said

that American occupation helicopters returned fire at

the sources of the rockets.  He said that Tevzadze was

sleeping at the time of the attack and was unaware

that anything had happened.


US occupation forces committed more war crimes on

Thursday, killing eight Iraqis in the area of Tikrit

and Baaqubah.  A military occupation spokesman said

that the invader forces were responding to attacks

against them and in the process killed eight attackers

in various locations.


In Tikrit the occupation army announced on Thursday

that they had killed seven Iraqis in three separate

incidents in the area.  Sergeant Robert Cargie said in

Tikrit that six of those Iraqis were killed near the

city of Baaqubah, 60km north of Baghdad.  A seventh

died south of Tikrit.  Cargie said that American

soldiers of the 3rd Battalion of the 67th Armored

Brigade on Wednesday were attacked by the Iraqi

Resistance in Abu Khurma, 15km east of Baaqubah.  He

said that the US aggressor forces killed four of the

Resistance fighters and wounded a fifth.  Cargie said

further that the battle occurred as the US invaders

were pursuing members of Saddam's Fedayeen.  He

claimed that the occupation forces captured 31

individuals among them eight who were being

investigated.  He said that the aggressors confiscated

19 AK-47 Kalashnikov Assault Rifles and other

automatic weapons as well as ammunition and three hand

made bombs.


Cargie said that a patrol mounted by the American 1st

Battalion of the 67th Armored Brigade killed two

Iraqis in a separate operation in al-Khalis.  He

claimed that the two Iraqis had tried to flee from the

aggressors.  Two other men who had been with the

deceased managed to elude the invaders' bullets and

escaped.  Cargie said: "It is unclear whether they

were trying to plant an explosive device or not."


Cargie said that on Wednesday an American occupation

patrol was attacked south of Jalula', near Tikrit.  He

said that one of the Resistance fighters attacking the

invaders was killed and another injured.  Another

Resistance fighter escaped, but was found later,

wounded, in his vehicle, according to Cargie.


The American occupation claimed that three civilians

were killed and two others wounded on Thursday when a

bus on which they were riding struck a land mine near

Tikrit.  Sergeant Steve Russell of the 1-22 Brigade, a

part of the 4th Infantry Division, said that the bus

probably drove over a mine.


In an-Nasiriyah there were demonstrations by Iraqi

soldiers demanding their pay and demanding to be

allowed to work and begin to live their lives after

the disbanding, shortly after the US invasion, of the

Army of the Republic of Iraq.  Some 300 unemployed

people, most of them former soldiers, rallied

peacefully to call for jobs outside the headquarters

of the occupation forces in the city.  Sattar Kazem, a

former soldier in the Iraqi Army said, "I haven't

received any pay for four months."  Unemployment in

the city hypertrophied after the American aggressor

forces announced the dissolution of the Iraqi Army in

May 2003.  There have been repeated promises that pay

for the veterans would be provided.   Kazem said that

the monthly pay, which he is supposed to receive, is

75,000 occupation Dinars or US$75.  He said "that's

not enough to feed my family of seven."


'Aziz 'Abed ash-Shahid said, "I'm disabled and I've

tried to get work everywhere or to get assistance but

nobody cares about my case."


'Adel Turki said, "I went to the [puppet] oil

protection services to look for work, but they asked

for a bribe of 200,000 occupation Dinars (US$200)."


A representative of the demonstrators read a

declaration in which he demanded that government

employees be allowed back to their jobs, that promised

stipends be paid to veterans, and that jobs be

provided for all Iraqis.


In recent days similar demonstrations of the

unemployed in the other southern Iraqi cities of

al-'Amarah and al-Kut have ended in violent clashes

and the deaths of several demonstrators from

occupation troop and puppet police gunfire.


In the south of occupied Iraq, tens of thousands of

Shiite Iraqis came out in large demonstrations in

al-Basrah in support of demands of AyatAllah 'Ali

as-Sistani for the holding of elections before a

planned transfer of power, and for the appointment of

a temporary electoral committee.  The demonstrators

chanted their support for the Shiite "Hawzah" or

committee of Shiite clerics and for its chief cleric

as-Sistani, and carried signs in English saying "We

want a constitution."


Among the political parties that took part in the

Shiite clerical demonstrations were the

collaborationist so-called Supreme Council for the

Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI) and the Da'wah

Party, whose representatives sit on the puppet

so-called Interim Governing Council run by American

proconsul L. Paul Bremer.  Although as-Sistani does

not participate in the so-called governing council, he

does not oppose the American presence in the country,

but has begun recently to call for a transfer of power

to Iraqis.  As-Sistani has rejected all claims that

holding elections under the present situation in

occupied Iraq would be impossible, insisting instead

on the election rather than appointment of members of

the Transition Group provided for in official US

documents regarding the "transition of power" planned

by Washington for May 2004.


No secular parties took part in the marches.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Friday, 16 January 2004.





Friday, 16 January 2004.

A US aggressor soldier died from what US occupation

sources said was a non-hostile gunshot wound south of

Baghdad on Friday evening near ad-Diwaniyah south of

Baghdad, the military occupation command said in a

statement made on Saturday. No further details were



The Iraqi Resistance carried out an attack in the

northern city of Mosul on Friday seriously injuring

two puppet policemen, according to an officer in the

local puppet police, 'Abd al-Ghani al-Mulla Ghannun.

The two puppet policemen were in a vehicle in front of

the residence of the police commander in one of the

neighborhoods of Mosul, 370km north of Baghdad.

Ghannun said that Resistance fighters in a white car

with no license plates drove past the puppet police

car and opened fire on them with AK-47 Kalashnikov

Assault Rifles, and then escaped.  Dr. Ghassan Hamed

'Abdallah of Mosul Hospital said that the two men were

in serious condition.


The commander of the puppet police in Kirkuk reported

that a road block manned by the puppet police near the

city came under an armed Resistance attack in which

one of the attackers was seriously wounded, he said.


The Iraqi puppet police and hospital sources report

that a 15-year old youth was killed and five other

persons wounded when a bomb exploded in a neighborhood

in the center of Baghdad as US occupation soldiers and

puppet police were trying to disarm it.


The Iraqi puppet police reported that one Iraqi had

been killed and two others wounded when a land mine

belonging to the "former" Iraqi Army exploded.


Two bombs found in the puppet so-called "Defense

Ministry" were also being defused by US occupation

troops Friday, Lieutenant Robert Cornetius said.

Patients were evacuated from part of a hospital facing

the ministry, said the hospital's deputy manager,

'Imad Tareq.


Hundreds of Iraqis marched on Friday to protest the

American occupation's arrest of Khamis Sirhan Muhammad

a member of the Regional Leadership of the Arab Baath

Socialist Party whom the Americans listed as number 54

of their list of "most wanted" persons in occupied

Iraq.  Demonstrators carried signs and Iraqi flags as

well as pictures of Khamis Sirhan.  One sign read "All

the tribes of al-Fallujah demand that the invaders

release Mr. Khamis Sirhan!"  Another read: "The masses

of al-Fallujah demand that the occupiers release

Khamis Sirhan!"


Muhammad Kamel, a nephew of Khamis Sirhan Muhammad

said, "my uncle is innocent and did not commit any

crime against the people of Iraq.  He's one of the

beloved and respected local people of al-Fallujah.  He

enjoys everybody's respect and he behaves according to

tribal traditions, not political ones."


Officials in Iraq's puppet police force said that they

have taken intensified security measures around two

mosques in the city of Baaqubah in anticipation of

possible attacks.  Haydar 'Abbas, a puppet police

officer, explained that they had received information

that an explosives-laden truck driven by someone in a

police uniform had entered the city and was expected

to strike a target before or after Friday

congregational prayers.


Meanwhile the Shiite cleric Ayat Allah 'Ali

as-Sistani, who still does not advocate resistance to

the invaders and occupiers of his country, threatened

to issue a legal opinion (fatwa) calling for

"opposition" to the American occupation if his demand

for an election under the conditions of occupation are

not met.  The threat came as American Proconsul Paul

Bremer was in Washington consulting with his bosses on

how to handle the public relations show that they call

a "transition of power" set for May this year when the

puppet so-called Interim governing council is to be

replaced by another puppet body while the military

occupation remains in place as it has been.  American

occupation forces are fearful of the outcome of any

kind of election, even one under conditions of

occupation where the largest political party in the

country has been made illegal and where enemies of the

occupation are arrested and sent to concentration

prison camps.  American suggestions have provided for

a transitional body to be selected by regional

caucuses, but as-Sistani and a group of Shiite clerics

close to members of the collaborationist so-called

Interim Governing Council are demanding elections to

chose the new puppet authority.


An aide to as-Sistani, Ayat Allah Muhammad Baqer

al-Mihri, on Friday conveyed as-Sistani's threat and

explained that if as-Sistani issues the legal opinion

(fatwa) for Shiites to oppose the occupation, the

Shiite population of Iraq "will come out in protest

marches and demonstrations against the occupation

forces."  Al-Mihri urged Proconsul Bremer to take

as-Sistani's threat seriously if he wants to avoid

"problems."  Al-Mihri said that it was the Shiite

clergy who had prevented a "confrontation" between

Iraq's Shiites and the occupation forces.


The Associated Press reported on Friday that despite a

Pentagon investigation into alleged overcharging for

fuel delivered to Iraq, the US army had nevertheless

awarded US Vice President Dick Cheney's "former"

company Halliburton a contract to rebuild Iraq's oil

industry, an industry devastated by the 30-nation

aggression of 1990-1991 when Cheney was US imperialist

Secretary of Defense, and by the 13-year embargo on

Iraq imposed when Cheney was Secretary of Defense, and

by the invasion of Iraq in 2003 when Cheney was Vice

President.  According to the AP, the investigation

into overcharging will concern government officials,

not Halliburton executives.


According to a statement issued by the US Army Corps

of Engineers, Halliburton won a competitive bid to

rebuild the oil industry in southern Iraq, a contract

worth up to US$1.2 billion over two years.  The US

Army gave Halliburton's subsidiary Kellog, Brown &

Root (KBR) a no-bid contract to rebuild the oil

infrastructure in Iraq shortly after the US occupation

of the country last March.  Then, after controversy

among moneyed interests, the US army opened that

contract for competitive bids last fall and split it

into one for northern Iraq and one for southern Iraq,

perhaps in keeping with plans by some Washington

strategists eventually to split Iraq into separate

statelets.  However that may be, the northern Iraq

contract, worth up to US$800 million went to a joint

venture of California-based Parsons Corporation and

the Australian company Worley Group Ltd.


The commander of US occupation forces in Iraq has

ordered a criminal investigation into reports of abuse

of prisoners at an occupation detention center.  A

military statement Friday gave no indication about the

scope of the alleged abuse, saying simply that

Lieutenant General Ricardo Sanchez ordered a probe

"into reported incidents of detainee abuse at a

'coalition forces' detention facility." The statement

did not specify the facility.

The release of specific information concerning the

incidents could hinder the investigation, which is in

its early stages," the statement said, thereby further

hiding the beatings and torture reportedly used by the

aggressor forces against captives held in the

occupation's many concentration camps.


In Washington, Lawrence Di Rita, spokesman for Defense

Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, said it is a criminal

investigation and that the reports of abuse were

deemed "very serious and credible." Di Rita declined

to provide details other than to say the alleged abuse

happened at detention centers in Baghdad.  The

Associated Press observed that "the announcement

followed allegations by Amnesty International and

former prisoners of harsh treatment of detainees"

captured by US occupation forces after their

occupation of the country began last March.


Some 60 Iraqi prisoners were set free by the

occupation on 8 January.  That release was supposed to

be the first batch of a whole series of prisoner

releases, but so far there have been no further

reports of other groups of captives being set free.

Many of those who came out of the Abu Ghurayb prison

on that day complained of torture and extensive

imprisonment of individuals for no apparent reason.

They also reported that prisoners were shot in the

course of an uprising during the summer.  See the

Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 8 January 2004.


According to the AP, the occupation is believed to be

holding about 12,800 prisoners in its various

concentration camps.  Earlier this month, three US

occupation army reservists were discharged for abuse

of prisoners at the so-called Camp Bucca detention

center in southern Iraq.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Saturday, 17 January 2004.






Saturday, 17 January 2004.

The Iraqi Resistance inflicted direct casualties on

the American occupation forces on Saturday in northern

Iraq.  In addition, a number of positions of the

puppet police that collaborates with the occupation

were hit.


A roadside bomb in the agricultural community of

al-Mushahadah, 30km from Baghdad, three American

occupation soldiers and two Iraqi puppet so-called

civil defense force members were killed in a roadside

bomb blast.  Those killed and wounded had been part of

US occupation patrol looking for roadside bombs on

which the American aggressors brought along puppet

forces to serve them.  MacDonald claimed that three

men who were leaving the scene of the attack in a

white truck were detained, and aggressor soldiers

claimed they found bomb-making material in the

vehicle, he added.


Two American invaders also were wounded when a Bradley

Fighting Vehicle hit the explosive device and caught

fire on a road near Taji, about 20 miles north of the

Iraq capital, said Lieutenant Colonel Bill MacDonald,

a spokesman for the 4th Infantry Division. MacDonald

said the remote-controlled bomb, planted on an access

road, was made up of two 155 mm artillery rounds and

other explosives. 'Abed 'Ali, who lives nearby, told

AP that he rushed to the scene after hearing the loud

explosion and saw the Bradley burning. The explosion

left a large crater. Young Iraqi men could be seen

picking through the wreckage of the destroyed vehicle.


Local people delighted in the attack rushing in to

brandish parts of the destroyed Bradley vehicle in

celebration of the Resistance victory, as they chanted

slogans in favor of the Resistance and against the



Iraqi Resistance fighters attacked the General

Headquarters of the occupation forces that covers the

five provinces supervised by the so-called

multinational forces under Polish command.  Occupation

sources would not disclose information about possible

losses in the attack which took place in the town of

al-Hillah.  They did announce, however that one Iraqi

had been killed and others injured in the Resistance



In al-Huwayjah, the comander of the puppet so-called

civil defense force that collaborates with the

occupation said that four of its members were wounded

in a Resistance attack, two of them seriously.  Major

General Anwar Muhammad Amin commander of the puppet

so-called civil defense forces in Kirkuk said that the

four Iraqis were guarding a checkpoint at the entrance

to al-Huwayjah when explosives were thrown at them.


A spokesman for the occupation forces announced that

two Iraqis were killed and six others captured in an

attack that targeted an border outpost in the province

of al-Anbar.  No aggressor losses were reported for

the attack.


In Karbala' a spokesman for the puppet police said

that the body of a puppet policeman who had been

abducted nine days ago had been found.  'Ali Isma'il

Habib left his home heading for work nine days ago, an

occupation spokesman said, indicating that he was

abducted and killed yesterday.  His body was then

thrown into the street, the spokesman said.


US occupation forces found and disarmed a bomb that

had been put together out of four surface-to-air

missile warheads (SAM-3s) which were connected to 20kg

of explosives.  The bomb had been planted near



The Iraqi puppet police announced that the occupation

forces in Baaqubah had said that they had arrested

three persons who, they said, had been smuggling and

cooperating with the Resistance.  The sources said

that the puppet police and puppet civil defense forces

had strengthened their presence in checkpoints on the

60-kilometer long highway be Baghdad and Baaqubah

where many Resistance attacks take place.


In Washington sources have been saying that US

President George Bush might alter the occupation plan

for the sham "transfer of power" scheduled for later

this year in light of criticism by Shiite clerical

leaders who have been cooperating with the occupation.


In Paris it was announced that France, which has not

strongly supported the American aggression against

Iraq, said it wants to help to train Iraq's next

generation of puppet police officers - once power is

transferred to a sovereign Iraqi government. But

Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said Friday

that the question of sending in French troops is "not

a current topic."  American occupation talk about a

"transfer of power to Iraqis" has all been very clear

about the fact that the so-called transfer of power

would not affect the American occupation of the

country which is slated to continue into the

indefinite future.  "Transfer of power" is therefore

clearly a convenient cover whereby western imperialist

states can save face as they swing behind the US

occupation of Iraq and give it a more "international"

veneer, relieving pressure on the United States and

seeking to benefit from the colonial plunder of the

Iraqi people.


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Sunday, 18 January 2004.