Iraqi Resistance Report for Sunday, 18 January 2004 through Saturday 24 January 2004.  Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board, the Free Arab Voice.


Sunday, 18 January 2004.


An Iraqi Resistance martyrdom attacker bomber detonated 1,000 pounds of explosives in a pickup truck outside the headquarters compound of the U.S.-led occupation Sunday, killing at least 23 Iraqis collaborating with the occupation as well as two US Defense Department workers. He detonated a car bomb outside the main gate to the headquarters of the US occupation Sunday killing two American occupation soldiers and 23 Iraqis and wounding hundreds of people in the area of the tightly controlled US compound, occupation officials said.


Hundreds of others, including six Americans, were wounded by the blast, which occurred at about 8 a.m. near the "Assassin's Gate" to Saddam Hussein's former Republican Palace complex, now used by the US-led occupation authority for headquarters. The gate is used by hundreds of Iraqis collaborating with the occupation authorities, as well as US military vehicles.  The 18 dead included two American so-called "civilians" and 16 Iraqi so-called "civilians", the US military press office said. The wounded included four American so-called "civilians", two US occupation soldiers, and 22 Iraqi so-called "civilians", the occupation press office said.


The Iraqi Resistance has repeatedly made clear that all foreigners working for the occupation of their country and all Iraqis collaborating with the occupation authorities are legitimate targets of their liberation struggle.


Brigadier General Mark Hertling, deputy commander of the 1st Armored Division, said the blast was caused by one martyrdom  bomber driving a car.  He told The Associated Press earlier that the blast occurred "literally at the last point a vehicle could get to without being stopped. The barriers absorbed most of the blast."


But some witnesses said two cars may have been involved.  Salah Farhan said he was accompanying colleagues through the checkpoint when he saw a Land Cruiser try to cut to the head of the line. The vehicle exploded about two cars back from the gate, he said.

US occupation  troops guarding the gate took cover when they saw the vehicle try to move to the front of the line.


The Associated Press noted: "The area is one of the most heavily guarded in the capital. U.S. soldiers guarding the gate usually stand about 20 yards from the road behind coils of barbed wire and concrete barriers."


One witness, Hamid Hawwam, said two cars exploded at the gate, and one of them flew into the air. Another, Haidar Hanoun, said he was lining up for a job when a Land Cruiser and another vehicle exploded.  "It was very strong. There are a lot of injured and dead," he said. Karrar 'Abbas, an Iraqi puppet so-called civil defense trooper, said the blast engulfed seven cars parked along the street.  Muhammad Jabbar, who works at the puppet so-called "Ministry of Planning", said he was waiting to pass through the security checkpoint when the blast occurred.  "When the explosion went off, it was very strong," he said. "It lifted us into the air. People fell on top of one another."


At least three separate fires were seen after the blast. One man was seen lying motionless on the side of the road as occupation soldiers and "civilians" helped the wounded.


Military occupation tanks also moved in near the blazes.


"The wounded are in big numbers, there are killed, there were people whom we couldn't take to the hospital," engineer Khaled Taleb said. "It is a very crowded area."  Several of the wounded squatted helplessly on the ground. Some, shocked and weeping, were comforted by bystanders. One wounded man was carried away in what looked like a bed sheet.  Nabil 'Abd az-Zahhar said a friend standing with him in line for security checks was killed. "My friend was standing behind me in the line when the explosion happened," a shaken 'Abd az-Zahhar said. "There were lots of injured. I called for help and no one came to help me. He died right there on the ground."  Iraqi puppet police announced on loudspeakers that occupation forces will give $2,500 to anyone providing information on the Resistance fighters.


The explosion could be heard along the banks of the Tigris River, which flows through the center of the city of 5 million. Dense morning fog blanketed the city at the time.

The last large explosions in the center of Baghdad occurred Monday when mortars exploded near the river.


Three Americans and two Iraqi puppet policemen had been killed in a Resistance attack on Saturday in at-Taji, northern Baghdad.  Two Iraqis were killed and a third wounded in the explosion of a booby-trapped car in Tikrit as well on Saturday.


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Monday, 19 January 2004.



Monday, 19 January 2004.


Two members of the puppet so-called civil defense forces were killed and a third injured seriously on the night of Sunday to Monday when Resistance fighters opened fire on a check point on the outskirts of the city of Balad, according to a source within the puppet forces.  Captain Dilif Hallub said that the forces were attacked with small arms fire killing two of the members of the puppet force and wounding a third.


The American military occupation announced on Monday that an American soldier who was wounded in the explosion of a bomb on 16 January in Samarra' had died of his wounds.


In an-Najaf, various sources said that a member of the Baath Party had been assassinated by unknown persons who fled after the murder. Eye witness Rida 'Aziz Hasan, a neighbor of the deceased, said that early in the morning Hasan had been shot by unknown assailants.  He said that Hasan had served as a member of the command of a division in the Baath Party.  He said that Hasan had been assassinated outside his home in an-Najaf.


The Iraqi puppet police said that that Americans claimed to have shot a Syrian and two Yemenis who opened fire on them on Monday as they were raiding a home in Baghdad.  The puppet police said that the American occupation troops were fired on as they searched a house and its environs for weapons.  Bloodstains covered the surrounding ground around the house and bullet holes could be seen in the wall.  A car parked in the garage also had been struck by gunfire.


Source:  al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Tuesday, 20 January 2004.



Tuesday, 20 January 2004.


Two members of the Iraqi puppet police force were killed by Iraqi Resistance fighter gunfire on Tuesday in Mosul. Meanwhile a member of the provincial puppet "governing council" Salem al-Hajj 'Isa, who is responsible for security in the area, survived an attempt by the Resistance to execute him for his collaboration.  Two of his guards, however, were severely injured.


Lieutenant Colonel 'Abd al-Azal Hazem, public relations chief for the puppet police directorate of the province of Mosul said that the puppet "police commissioner 'Asem Ahmad was killed by gunfire from unknown persons in a car driving in al-Qahirah neighborhood in the north of the city."  He said that the Resistance fighters who carried out the execution of the collaborator puppet police commissioner were able to escape.


Head of puppet police investigations in Kirkuk, Staff Major General Sa'id 'Abd al-Hadi al-'Abidi, told the Agence France Presse (AFP) that his puppet troops had found twenty Katyusha rockets and two launchers as well as six 60mm mortar shells in the al-'Amal ash-Sha'bi neighborhood of Kirkuk, 10km north of the city.  The neighborhood is just 5 kilometers from the headquarters of the American forces holed up in the occupied Kirkuk Airport.


As usual, since the puppet police role is subservient to that of the American occupation, al-'Abidi said that after finding the cache of weapons, the puppet police ran to inform the US occupation forces who came and "closed off the area and transported the missiles and shells to a specific place where they defuse them."


Meanwhile the commander of the puppet police in Kirkuk, Turhan Yusuf told the AFP that the puppet so-called "ministry of interior" had decided to dissolve the directorates of [puppet] police for oil for the north, center, and south of Iraq which had been staffed by about two thousand members.  The move was explained on the grounds that the role designated for those "oil police" was now being undertaken by "foreign security companies" who are guarding all the oil installations in the country.  The two thousand puppet oil policemen were left unemployed, according to Yusuf, who complained that the decision was "unjust" and that it "would not contribute to reorganizing the [puppet] police."


Iraqi women's activists held rallies to protest a proposed law on personal status that the puppet so-called Interim Governing Council passed which cancels the civil laws that had been in effect previously and puts personal status issues such as the rights of women and marriage under "Islamic Shari'ah."


The woman demonstrators gathered in Firdaws Square in the occupied Iraqi capital and held big signs calling for "dignity and equality," and proclaiming that the "progress of the society depends on the freedom of women and the guarantee of their legitimate human rights."  They chanted "We reject decree No. 137!"


The puppet so-called Governing Council issued decree No. 137 in December 2003 in which personal status cases are to be turned over to Shari'ah courts cases that civil courts had handled prior to the American invasion.  The decree has not, so far, been finally promulgated, however, and is so far not yet in effect.


The demonstrators, who represent seven women's organizations, presented a memorandum to the American proconsul Paul Bremer opposing decree No. 137.  The memorandum expressed the organizations shock and consternation that the so-called Governing Council would issue a decree that amounted to the abrogation of the Iraqi Personal Status Law No. 188 for the year 1959 and other laws and regulations concerning the civil rights of women.


The women's statement also condemned religious confessionalism, whereby the country would be divided along religious lines.  This was in response to the situation where much of the push for obliteration of civil status law has been coming from the Shiite clergy who are cooperating with the US occupation of Iraq.  The women's statement said "It is most urgently necessary for us to reaffirm the rights of all Iraqi citizens without discrimination between men and women nor on the basis of imposing the hated system of confessionalism that feeds the breakup of the country and internecine fighting among various sections of our people, and which constitutes a real danger to the unity of its social fabric."


Source: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Wednesday, 21 January 2004.


Wednesday, 21 January 2004.


General Director of the Agricultural Department in Kirkuk Province, Hiwa Najib, told the Agence France Presse (AFP) on Wednesday that his assistant in the department was severely wounded in an attempted execution.  Najib said that his deputy, Fu'ad Fadel (45 years old), was shot by Iraqi Resistance fighters near the Daquq regional authority building in the south of Kirkuk as he drove his departmental car on the way to Baghdad.  He said that Fadel was hit by three bullets in the abdomen, shoulder, and right thigh and that the wounds were serious.  He was taken to Azadi Hospital in Kirkuk.


The commander of puppet police in an-Najaf, Brigadier General 'Aziz Khudayr, said that on Wednesday and on Tuesday his puppet forces had disarmed two bombs placed near the offices of the collaborationist, so-called Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution of Iraq (SCIRI) (which is headed by 'Abd al-'Aziz al-Hakim, a member of the puppet so-called Interim Governing Council) in the city of al-Kunah.


In Kirkuk Province, Staff Major General Anwar Muhammad Amin said that about 800 armed members of the puppet so-called civil defence forces all along the Kirkuk-to-Baghdad highway in order to protect it from Resistance Fighters.


Source: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Thursday, 22 January 2004.




Thursday, 22 January 2004.


The Iraqi Resistance intensified its attacks against American occupation forces and their stooges on Thursday in various regions of the country.  A spokesman for the occupation acknowledged that two American occupation soldiers had been killed and a third injured in a mortar attack or attack with rockets near Baaqubah, according to that spokesman's report.


The Iraqi Resistance also attacked a patrol of the Iraqi puppet police that collaborates with the occupation near al-Fallujah.  The attack, in which machine guns were used, left two officers in the puppet police force dead and three others wounded.  Puppet police Captain Walid Isma'il described the shooting as a drive-by incident where Resistance fighters opened "intense" fire on the patrol, killing a first lieutenant and a lieutenant in the puppet police force.  The incident occurred on the highway 30km north of al-Fallujah.


The Iraqi puppet police announced the death of one Iraqi and the wounding of another 13 in a roadside bombing on a road traveled by the occupation forces west of Kirkuk at 1:10pm.


Four Iraqi Christian women who work in an American occupation base were killed and five others wounded in an unprecedented attack in al-Habbaniyah on a mini-bus that was taking them into the base, according to one of the survivors.  The attack occurred Wednesday morning on the road leading from al-Fallujah to al-Habbaniyah base west of the city.  One survivor, Maggie 'Aziz, (49) said "there were nine women and the driver.  It was 6:30am and we were heading as we do every day to al-Habbaniyah base.  She said that four men with covered faces driving a white Opal opened machinegun fire on the bus, killing four women and wounding the others.  Suzan 'Izzat (40), another survivor, said that the driver was wounded in the back in the attack, but continued on his course as the Resistance fighters pursued continuing to fire at the minibus.  'Izzat said "all the women are Christians who work for the Ecolog company which works for KBR [Kellog, Brown & Root]" a subsidiary of Halliburton, the firm associated with US Vice President Dick Cheney.


A surgeon in ar-Ramadi Hospital said that all four women had been killed by Kalashnikov gunfire.  An American occupation official refused to comment on the Resistance attack, saying "It's an Iraqi matter, so questions about it should be directed to the interior ministry or the local authorities."


The commander of the Spanish security division in Iraq received a serious headwound near ad-Diwaniyah and two Iraqi puppet policemen were also injured during a raid by Spanish forces and puppet police on a house in the area.


One British occupation soldier was killed in what was described as a "traffic accident" in the city of al-'Ammarah, according to a statement by a British occupation spokesman.


Source: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Friday, 23 January 2004.


Friday, 23 January 2004.


Two American occupation troops were killed Friday evening in a helicopter crash in northern Iraq the American military spokesman refused to acknowledge that the crash was the result of an Iraqi Resistance attack.  He said that the helicopter was on a reconnaisance patrol at the time of the incident.


Two members of the so-called Iraqi Communist Party, a collaborationist organization whose chief sits on the American puppet so-called "Interim Governing Council", were killed in a bomb blast at the headquarters of the "Party" in New Baghdad.


The Spanish defense ministry announced that its security chief in Iraq, who was reported injured in a Resistance attack on Thursday, had been transported back to Spain in a coma.


In a Friday sermon, Shiite religious leader Ayat Allah 'Ali as-Sistani called for an immediate halt to all anti-occupation demonstrations in Iraq.  As-Sistani, who had been leading a campaign for elections to a new puppet authority to work with the occupation, said that all demonstrations should stop until the United Nations issues a resolution on the holding of elections in the occupied country.


Source: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Saturday, 24 January 2004.


Saturday, 24 January 2004.


The Iraqi Resistance escalated its struggle on Saturday, killing six American occupation troops and six puppet policemen in various attacks.


An Iraqi Resistance car bomb exploded in a town west of Baghdad on Saturday, killing four American occupation soldiers and injuring several other aggressor soldiers and several Iraqis whom the US military occupation described as "civilians."  The attack took place near a US military occupation checkpoint at the foot of a bridge in al-Khalidiyah city, 70 miles west of Baghdad, witnesses said. A US military occupation spokesman would give no further details about the attack except that the bomb exploded at 4:15pm.


According to eye witnesses, the US occupation camp is a former Republican Guard base.  An explosives-laden Iraqi Resistance vehicle was able to break through the cement barriers blocking the entrance to the occupied base, and detonated, killing four American occupation soldiers and wounding ten others.


Al-Jazeera TV reported that the explosives-laden car struck an American military personnel carrier, on which at least 20 occupation troops were riding, and detonated, destroying it.  The attack reportedly took place near as-Sadiqiyah Bridge on the road between al-Fallujah and ar-Ramadi.


Residents of al-Khalidiyah observed helicopters taking dead and wounded from the camp while other helicopters hovered above the city as occupation troops deployed in the town and its environs where they carried out extensive raids and searches looking for persons involved in the attack.  A number of Iraqis were arrested, according to local witnesses.


The American occupation spokesman, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said several people whom he described as "Iraqi civilians" were wounded, one of them evacuated to a military base for treatment.  He said two of the wounded aggressor soldiers were taken to a combat support hospital and four were being treated at a local military base.  Eight injured Iraqis were admitted to a hospital in the nearby town of ar-Ramadi, including six women and two men, said Dr. Ahmad Nasrat Jaburi. He said one of them was in a serious condition.


Witnesses also said that US aggressor forces later closed the road between al-Fallujah and al-Khalidiyah out of fear of further such attacks.


Earlier on Saturday, two American occupation soldiers and four Iraqis were killed in separate bomb attacks Saturday, a day after two UN security experts arrived in the capital to study the possible return of the world body's international staff.


The US occupation soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb that struck their convoy near al-Fallujah, a city 50 miles west of Baghdad in an area that has been a center of Iraqi Resistance.


In another attack, a truck bomb exploded soon after a US occupation patrol passed by in Samarra'.  The blast killed four Iraqis and wounded 33 people including seven American invader soldiers, according to US occupation Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt.  The American military police patrol was turning into a puppet police station to join Iraqi puppet police when the explosion occurred behind it, Sergeant Major Nathan Wilson of the 720th Military Police Battalion.


Also on Saturday, at least one sniper in a building shot and wounded an American aggressor soldier who was in a foot patrol in a Baghdad neighborhood, Major Kevin West said.

A bridge across the Tigris River in Baghdad, leading to the headquarters of the occupation, was closed by US invader troops for two hours Saturday. Witnesses said they were searching for a bomb, but this could not be independently confirmed.

Meanwhile a military adviser and a security coordinator sent by the United Nations arrived Friday in Baghdad, the first foreign staff to return since then. They planned to meet with officials from the US controlled occupation and inspect buildings that the supposedly "international" body might use as it bows to US pressure and once again acts as a rubber stamp for Washington's Diktat.  Spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on behalf of the now impotent UN, "Their [the insprctors'] primary focus will be to open lines of communication ... and also to look after the interests of our national staff in Iraq," Dujarric said, referring to Iraqi citizens who collaborate with the UN which is now in collaboration with the US aggressors.  UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, known for his subservience to America, also is considering sending a separate security team that would be needed if he decides to send experts to Iraq to determine whether direct elections for a transitional government were feasible in line with the negotiations under way between the US imperialist authorities and the Shiite Clerics collaborating with the occupation.

A source in the city of al-Khalidiyah quoted by the Jordanian newspaper al-Arab al-Yawm estimated the number of Iraqis from that city being held prisoner as numbering 1,000, most of them former members of the Iraqi Army and Iraqi security organs.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Sunday, 25 January 2004.